DINNER FOR 2ISH: Parmesan-garlic tilapia

Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are junior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget. Looking for an easy and nutritious finals week meal? This tilapia is ready in about 15 minutes.

Parmesan-garlic tilapia

Estimated cost per serving: $1.75

Ingredients bought for this recipe Ingredients we had on-hand
  • Frozen tilapia loins (thawed) - Meijer, $3
  • Parmesan cheese (2 tablespoons) - Meijer, $3
  • Butter (2 tablespoons)
  • Minced garlic (1 teaspoon)
  • Salt and pepper
Equipment used
  • Large skillet

Directions

1. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the tilapia, then place in the buttered skillet and cook for approximately four minutes, until a golden crust forms on the underside.

2. Flip the fish and spread the garlic onto each fillet. Continue cooking until flaky, but not dry in the middle (approximately four minutes).

3. Top with parmesan cheese and place under a broiler (just an oven will work, too) for about three minutes, until the cheese starts to brown and crust. This step is optional, but makes for a nice crust on the fish. Serve with rice, vegetables or between bread.

Want to learn to cook this summer? Try all of our dinners for 2ish:

Spinach stuffed shellsEtouffeeSpaghetti squashGyros and friesChicken ParmesanWedge SaladPasta alla VodkaChicken CurryPasta PrimaveraBurrito BowlsPotatoes