DINNER FOR 2ISH: Pasta primavera

Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are junior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget. The weather doesn't feel like spring, but we do. This pasta is entirely our own creation.

Pasta primavera

Estimated cost per serving: $1.30

Ingredients bought for this recipe Ingredients we had on-hand
  • Italian sausage - Meijer, $2.50
  • 1 cup frozen peas - Meijer, $1
  • 8 stalks asparagus - Meijer, $2.50
  • Egg noodles - Meijer, $1.95
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Butter
  • 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
Equipment used
  • Large skillet
  • Large pot of salted water
  • Stove

Directions

1. Slice the sausage into small pieces and cook for a few minutes on each side in the skillet, until each piece is no longer pink in the middle.

2. Remove the sausage from the pan and place on a plate, but do not wash the pan. Rinse the frozen peas in hot water until they are soft, but not mushy. Cut the white bottom of the asparagus stalks off, then cut the smaller pieces in half.

3. Add about two tablespoons of butter to the pan. Place the large pot of water on to boil. Once the butter melts, add the onion, peas and asparagus and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat.

4. As the vegetables get close to fully-cooked, add the egg noodles to the boiling water. We found egg noodles cook really fast — 5 minutes or so. Test them frequently so the pasta does not become overcooked.

5. While the pasta cooks, add the cream, wine and 2 more tablespoons of butter to the vegetables. Add the sausage back to the pan. Stir frequently while simmering over medium-low heat. The sauce should thicken and turn darker in color.

6. Drain the pasta, place on a plate and top with vegetables, sausage and some sauce. Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if you so desire.