Students to present research at Butler University

<p>Undergraduates at Ball State will be presenting their work at the Butler Undergraduate Research Conference (URC) on April 8. This year, 49 Ball State students and 17 faculty advisors will be attending and&nbsp;there will be 640 presentations.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">PHOTO COURTESY OF URC.BUTLER.EDU</i></p>

Undergraduates at Ball State will be presenting their work at the Butler Undergraduate Research Conference (URC) on April 8. This year, 49 Ball State students and 17 faculty advisors will be attending and there will be 640 presentations. PHOTO COURTESY OF URC.BUTLER.EDU

What: Butler Undergraduate Research Conference

When: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on Friday, April 8

More information can be found here.

Butler Undergraduate Research Conference

Jessica Carducci, a senior English studies major, is one of the Ball State students presenting at the conference. Her presentation is entitled “Freak Shows in Academia,” and she will be giving an oral presentation with Lauren Seitz, a senior French and English major.

Carducci and Seitz’s presentation is a compilation of their individual research projects for their immersive learning course. The course publishes the “Digital Literature Review,” an academic journal.

The idea for the URC was presented in 1987, with the first conference in 1988. Students present their research in one of 25 topic areas. Topics include anthropology, chemistry, education, history, music, philosophy, sociology and theatre.

“Butler University faculty wanted to provide students in our region with an opportunity to present their original research in a supportive atmosphere,” said Dacia Charlesworth, director of undergraduate research and prestigious scholarships at Butler University. “The fundamental tenet of the URC is to provide developing scholars with a safe environment.”

This year, there will be 640 presentations, and 922 students will be in attendance from 58 different universities, said Charlesworth.

The application process was divided into two steps. First, Carducci and Seitz had to submit an abstract to the conference. Second, they had to register as attending. This is Carducci’s first time going to the URC, but she isn’t overly nervous.

“I’m excited to present,” Carducci said. “I presented at the Unity Connections Conference last year, so I’m used to it.”

This is also Seitz’s first time presenting at the URC; however, she too has had practice presenting. 

She presented at the National Collegiate Honors Council Conference in Denver, Col., last year.

“I had a lot of fun [at the NCHC Conference],” Seitz said. “I liked being able to present about something I knew about, using my own experiences. I am very excited for this presentation, and I’m really looking forward to promoting the 'Digital Literature Review' as a journal.”

Presentations at the URC are given in three different ways: oral presentations, poster presentations and art exhibits. The oral presentations include three to five presentations in various disciplines. Each presentation lasts 15 minutes, and there are 15 minutes at the end of all presentations for a Q&A session on any topic.

“This Q&A session is especially important for developing scholars so that they may receive feedback about the research they’ve already conducted as well as suggestions for future incarnations of their project,” Charlesworth said.

Carducci is looking forward to the Q&A session.

“It would be nice to get some interesting questions from people, especially people from different backgrounds,” Carducci said. “It would be interesting to hear different perspectives. I’ll be happy if people just show up to our session.”

As for the poster presentations and art exhibits, Charlesworth said attendees should feel welcome to wander around. For those going to oral presentations, if they are going to be a little late, they should try to disrupt the session as little as possible.