Ten Tekken inspirations that Pokken should use

With Pokken joining the Tekken family of fighting games, what better way to celebrate than countdown the ten Tekken characters that Pokken should take inspiration from.

From the King of the ring to the king of the skies, from one masked fighter to another, you can’t tell me King wouldn’t loan himself to Pokken Tournament. And what would his Pokémon counterpart be? None other than the Flying Press itself, Hawlucha. No other Pokémon can bring the bounding finesse and aerial acrobatics like Hawlucha. And Hawlucha could easily become the king of the Pokken ring.

Everyone’s favorite angry grandpa, Heihachi has been in every other fighting game under the sun. Whether it was Street Fighter X Tekken or Soul Calibur, or even Project X Zone, you know you can find Heihachi and his hair for the ages. And who better to represent the angriest AARP member, than Poliwrath.

He’s been sporting the angry glare since gen 1 and it hasn’t let up since. Always mad, always buff and always ready to kick you when you’re down, Poliwrath is just already a heavy hitter. And to give him Heihachi’s moveset would make him one deadly frog. Poliwrath brings the pain, the power, and most importantly the anger of a true Heihachi clone.

Speaking of the messed up Mishima family, for every angry grandpa, there’s gotta be an angsty grandson. And of course it’s Jin, the poster child of hot topic fashion and hair gel. Who could possibly embody the king of edge himself, better than the edgiest of edgy Pokémon, Bisharp.

He’s a Dark/Steel grappling nightmare of a Pokémon who couldn’t smile even if he wanted to. He’s sharp, he’s mad, and he’s got all the dark moves at his arsenal. Honestly looking at these two, I couldn’t tell them apart and it just screams dark grappler.

Ding Ding, there’s kings of the ring and then there’s Steve. He’s ducking, swerving, and knocking your block off with just his immaculate boxer breakers. If you couldn’t tell, I’m a fan of Steve, and who better to embody the british bomb brawler, than Hitmonchan.

They’re two peas in a boxing pod, each giving up their kicks for double the punching power. And with a whole elemental punch spectrum at his disposal, Hitmonchan has all kinds of different strategies he could have. Whether it’s a fire and ice one two or a devastating dizzy punch, Hitmonchan could keep them down for the 10 count.

Where you have fists, you have feet. And where you have Hitmonchan, you’ve gotta have Hitmonlee. And when you’ve got Steve, you’ve gotta have Hwaorang. The pairing is a match made in heaven, with all of Hwaorang’s taekwondo kicks and chops at Hitmonlee’s disposal, you could have a truly terrifying hitmonforce.

High kicks, low kicks, sweeps and slides, you could leave your opponent guessing where the next kick is coming until it’s too late, and they’re taking a Hitmonlee to the face.

It’s not about your weight, it’s how you use it. To think the wisdom of American animated classic Xiaolin Showdown would prove useful here. And when it comes to the heaviest hitters of Tekken and Pokémon, I’d be remiss not to mention Bob and Snorlax.

These two can throw their weight in all the right directions, whether it’s Bob using his weight to alter his center of gravity, or Snorlax just taking a nap in your path. These two can be the scariest things to run into. Just walls of dense heavy fighting potential that will run you over if you’re not careful. Snorlax could be a train on the tracks to success and you’re just a pebble in it’s way.

Before his Soul Calibur days, most people forget that the crazy bug ninja was originally a Tekken tower of power. An armored bug quicker and more dangerous than anyone’s business, you know they’ve gotta be Scisor. Super fast and super deadly, Scisor would be in and out before you know it, and you’re left with the KO wondering why.

And with attacks like X-Scissor, Fury Cutter, and Bug Bite, you know Yoshimitsu would be proud to have someone like Scisor representing them.

The drunken fist police cop that’s definitely not but actually is based off Jackie Chan is a unique and versatile fighter of the Tekkenverse. And while Hitomonchan is already claimed, Mienshao the kung fu Pokémon, is still very available.

Able to mirror his unpredictable 5 O’clock somewhere style to the T and bringing a bit of beauty to the game, Mienshao can be a tipsy threat to any contender. And when you’re rocking the top of the tournament with everyones Kung Fu friend, it’ll always feel like it’s happy hour.

To Ryu, there’s Ken. To Mario, there’s Luigi. And to your enemy, Mokujin is their worst nightmare. Able to copy the moves of any and all fighters in the roster, Mokujin is a wooden faced threat that doesn’t care about your problems. It doesn’t feel mercy, it doesn’t feel in general. And Ditto is the perfect mirror fighter to do Mokujin’s mercilessness justice.

Think about it. Hey that’s a great Machamp there, be a shame if oh whats this oh it’s my Machamp. Anything they can do Ditto can do better. They throw a punch, you throw a copy punch. The mirror fighter is the thing of nightmares, and Ditto is the pink mush of madness.

And at the top of the list and that bottom of our hearts is Ganryu. You remember Ganryu? Most people don’t, and he’s been in the Tekken series since game 1. This Sumo superstar has been underappreciated for ages and it’s time we showed him some love.

So you got this big heavy hitter, he’s the king of his tiny ring and you know who can give him the love he needs? Hariyama, another easily forgotten Pokémon, is the sumo star of Pokémon, even if he’s the only sumo Pokémon. Hariyama, and Ganryu hand in giant hand, can bring the pain and honor to their sumo dojo.

But this is just a small list of the many poke contendors that should be pokken tournament. Which would like to see? Who do they compare to in Tekken? Leave your answer in the comments below!