University fills enrollment management position, says more changes to come

Organizational changes

• The offices of Admissions and Orientation, Financial Aid and Scholarships and Systems Technology within Enrollment Services will now report to the vice president for Student Affairs
  • The Office of the Registrar will now report to Academic Affairs

Kay Bales, dean of students and vice president of student affairs, is now overseeing enrollment services — a role that has seen three different executives since Paul W. Ferguson became university president in 2014.

The Office of Student Affairs will now work with students during their entire time at Ball State, from their recruitment to graduation.

Kay Bales

Joan Todd, associate vice president of strategic communications, said this was the structure before Jo Ann Gora became the university's president in 2004.

"Bales has been doing a great deal of work in student retention," Todd said in an email. "It makes perfect sense for her to oversee student life from the beginning to commencement."

The previous interim vice president of enrollment management, Julie Hopwood, is now the associate vice president for business and auxiliary services.

Hopwood was also the interim vice president of the Division of Strategic Communications, a position the university is still looking to fill permanently. Todd said a prior search had failed.

Acting President Terry King said in an email the university has tabled this search until the presidential search has concluded and the candidate is in office.

King also said because of ongoing efforts to maximize operations and efficiency, more organizational changes will happen in the coming weeks.