Campus performance groups to host benefit concert for American Cancer Society

<p>The Association of Collegiate A Cappella has teamed up with other performance groups across Ball State's campus to create the first ever benefit variety show for the American Cancer Society. The concert will be on March 2 at 8 p.m. at Pruis Hall, admission is $3.&nbsp;</p>

The Association of Collegiate A Cappella has teamed up with other performance groups across Ball State's campus to create the first ever benefit variety show for the American Cancer Society. The concert will be on March 2 at 8 p.m. at Pruis Hall, admission is $3. 

Cancer...

• is the second most common cause of death in the U.S.
  • accounts for nearly one of every four deaths
  • is predicted to have around 1,685,210 new cases diagnosed in 2016

Source: American Cancer Society

The concert is on March 2 at 8 p.m. at Pruis Hall. Admission is $3, and there will also be raffle sales.

Payton Gallardo, ACA public relations director and Sedoctave coordinator, said all money raised from the performance will go straight to the American Cancer Society.

The groups initially chose the American Cancer Society through previous connections that had been made by Unexpected Resolution, who performed at a Relay for Life event.

Edric Mitchell, the Ball State A Cappella Association's president and music director for Note to Self, said they also chose the cause because cancer is such a widespread disease.

“Cancer seems to be a sickness that continues to affect many students,” Mitchell said. “Whether it is something that they have personally gone through, someone in their family has gone through, or their friends. Awareness of cancer should be raised.”

John Steele, ACA vice president and Unexpected Resolution A Cappella Coordinator, said different types of cancer can often be overshadowed, which is why raising money and awareness for the American Cancer Society is important.

“It’s important to realize that there are a lot of cancers that aren’t publicly talked about," Steel said. "Some people don’t know that the ACS is actually running out of colors to represent a type of cancer because of how many there actually are. The ACS is a great cause that deserves representation and push behind them and that is what we are hoping to do by having this concert.”

The list of acts for the concert include:

• Audio Engineering Society (Ball State Chapter)
  • ABSO Improv Comedy
  • Unexpected Resolution
  • Rhythms Dance Troupe
  • Ladies’ Choice A Cappella
  • The Garner Clogging Trio
  • Note to Self, Poetic Summit
  • Sedoctave
  • Reflex Improv Comedy
  • Ball State University Singers
  • Outlet Hip Hop Troupe

“This event will be a blast, and the talent will not disappoint. It’s a variety show, so the range in acts should be entertaining and exciting,” said Jessi MacNulty, ACA secretary and Ladies’ Choice A Cappella public relations director. “We are raising money for an incredible cause that affects us all in one way or another. We are standing by ACS.”