Rob Ford, former Toronto mayor, dies from cancer

Mayor Rob Ford speaks to media after his meeting with Premier Dalton McGuinty , Police Chief Bill Blair, and other officials at Queens Park to discuss ways to reduce gun crimes in the city on July 23 2012 .VINCE TALOTTA/TORONTO STAR (Photo by Vince Talotta/Toronto Star via Getty Images)

Rob Ford former Mayor of Toronto, Canada ,who captivated voters during his 4 years in office with scandals involving drugs and alcohol, has died today at the age of 46. Ford lost his two-year battle with Liposarcoma, a rare form of cancer. 

In May 2015, Ford underwent surgery to remove a large tumor in his abdomen. After the recovery and biopsy it was revealed that the tumor was still growing. With unsuccessful chemotherapy, Ford’s health deteriorated until he died on the morning of March 22.

Even with multiple documented contradictions on record including drug abuse, public intoxication and racist and sexist comments, Ford maintained a loyal following of voters due to his working class common man persona. His fan base used the motto “Ford Nation” to promote his campaign during his administration and continued their support.

After 2013 a cellphone video of Ford smoking crack cocaine surfaced, he responded to reporters outside of his office saying, “I do not use crack cocaine, nor am I an addict of crack cocaine. As for a video, I cannot comment on a video that I have never seen or does not exist.” He then later went back on this statement by saying “Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine… Probably in one of my drunken stupors, probably approximately about a year ago.” 

Ford then became an international celebrity and he appeared on multiple late-night talk shows. A criminal investigation occurred where police eventually got ahold of a copy of the video and called for Ford’s resignation. However, Ford refused to step down. 

Toronto City Council could not by law remove Ford from his position as mayor. The council removed powers from the mayor temporarily and Ford remained unmoved by saying he promised to continue doing the job and run for reelection in 2014. 

He withdrew his candidacy for reelection after the diagnosis of his cancer and instead ran for a seat on the city council, which he later on won. Ford kept a low profile for the remaining years of his life and is survived by his wife Renata and his two children Stephanie and Doug.