MC Lyte shares history of women in hip hop industry

<p>MC Lyte spoke to a crowd in Pruis Hall&nbsp;on March 14 about women in the hip hop industry for Women's Week. The artist was the first female rapper to release a full album in 1988. <em>DN PHOTO REAGAN ALLEN</em></p>

MC Lyte spoke to a crowd in Pruis Hall on March 14 about women in the hip hop industry for Women's Week. The artist was the first female rapper to release a full album in 1988. DN PHOTO REAGAN ALLEN

MC Lyte spoke to a large crowd March 15 about the history of women in the hip hop industry and sought to empower those who attended.

She started with the dictionary definition of what a woman is and then gave a list of adjectives that also describe what it means to be a woman.

“We are loving, caring and forgiving. We are leaders; we are soon to be executives; we are creators of life,” she said. “You have to know your power.”

Shaun Richardson, a sophomore, has been a fan of MC Lyte since he was young and found her messages to be powerful. 

“[I liked her point] about how women should look at themselves as being, you know, strong and innovators,” Richardson said.

The audience frequently replied to her comments with snaps and claps throughout the presentation. MC Lyte said the interaction made the setting seem more intimate, which helped her convey her message to the audience.

“I just wanted to teach a little bit of history,” she said. “I happen to come from a time where I lived it, so I’m able to speak about it.”

MC Lyte talked about women who she considers to be role models, such as Harriet Tubman and Queen Latifah, two women she finds especially empowering.

“How could I lead my generation into a space where they could believe they could be all they wanted to be?” she asked herself. “I knew I had to go back much further [in history] for inspiration.”

Lara Vecchi is an exchange student and English major. She wanted to take the opportunity to hear from a feminist and woman in a predominantly male industry.

“I think [her presentation] was really great, especially because being a fan of hip hop, it was a great way to be able to be there and like, listen to what she had to say because [of] the world she’s in,” Vecchi said.

MC Lyte was the first female rapper to release a full-length solo album. 

Freshman telecommunications major Jasmine Cash was a fan of MC Lyte before the presentation and was interested in her thoughts on women in society.

“[Her presentation] was… astounding. It was outstanding; I loved it,” Cash said. “It was very open-minded, it gave me, like, a different view of the world.”