DINNER FOR 2ISH: Wedge Salad

Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are junior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget. Inspired by our spring break trip to Florida, this wedge salad brings a taste of the Sunshine State to a college budget and is a perfect warm-weather dinner.

Wedge Salad 

Estimated cost per serving: $1.75

Ingredients bought for this recipe Ingredients we had on-hand
  • Iceberg lettuce - Marsh, $1.50
  • Bacon, Marsh, $2.50
  • Hazelnuts - Marsh, $2
  • Red onion (thinly sliced) - Marsh, $1
  • Bleu cheese
    dressing (any will work)
  • Feta cheese (optional)
Equipment used
  • Sharp knife
  • Cutting board
  • Two pans, stove

Directions

1. Chop the bacon into small pieces. You may also cook it as strips and crumble it, but it will cook more quickly as a small piece. 

2. Roast the hazelnuts by melting about a tablespoon of butter in a small pan and cooking them over low heat for about 5 minutes. They will quickly turn from toasty brown to black — though this doesn't look great, the taste is still excellent.  You may also roast in the oven. 

3. Smash the head of lettuce on a hard surface with the white core down. Pull out the core, place the lettuce down again on the flat side, and slice the head into four wedges. Depending on how many you want to feed, you could slice it into six.

4. Turn the wedge upside down on the plate and top with bacon, hazelnuts, cheese, onions and dressing. Serve as-is or with an entrée.