NYC choreographer teaches Ball State dancers new technique

Ball State dance majors brought a new addition to the monthly “First Thursday” gallery walk in Downtown Muncie.

They performed a unique routine in the Gearbox building choreographed by Sidra Bell, who is a visiting artist from New York. Bell is visiting Ball State’s dance department for three weeks and is hoping to make the biggest impact possible.

“I don’t teach technique but I’m a specialist in improvisation and creative processes,” Bell said.

Bell also visited campus last year as a guest artist.

She is the choreographer of her own company, Sidra Bell Dance New York. The company consists of her and five other dancers who tour the United States and Europe.

Bell says the form of dance that she's teaching Ball State dance majors does not have a specific name. She describes this type of dance as an "evolving contemporary form.”

“Contemporary consists of working with the seminal, working off ballet and the modern techniques,” Bell said.

Samantha Conte is one of the dance majors who performed in the routine. She says working with Bell allows her to grow as a dancer.

“I get to include both my mind and my body and think on my toes and really push myself physically and mentally,” Conte said. “If anyone ever has the opportunity to work with her it would be really beneficial to them.”

Bell explained this wasn’t a form of dance that people would normally see. She says she expected people to be confused because it’s supposed to feel like a “different experience.”

Bell has another week left at Ball State before she returns to New York. Her next focus will be to work with another dance program in California.

The Ball State dance majors will be performing this routine again on Feb. 10 at 6 p.m. in the Ball Gymnasium. The cost for the event is free and it is open to the public.