Women's and gender studies program enrollment highest ever

<p><em>GRAPHIC PROVIDED BY ASHLEIGH BINGHAM</em></p>

GRAPHIC PROVIDED BY ASHLEIGH BINGHAM

Women's and gender studies study abroad information: 

Where: Madrid, Spain

When: May 21-29

How much: $1,735

Deadline to apply: Feb. 15 

Contact: Courtney Jarrett, cjjarrett@bsu.edu 

There are currently 126 students in the program, which Courtney Jarrett, affiliate faculty member in the program and associate director of disability services, said is impressive.

While the program has been around since the mid 1980s, it became an official major in 2005, Jarrett said.

In 2009, the program took a hit when the state of Indiana cut funding and Ball State performed an overhaul of its different programs.

“2009 was a big turning point for us," Jarrett said. "We were trying to get our bearing and figure out what the program was going to be like from that point on, because there were big changes." 

Seven years later, the women's and gender studies program has grown so much its first study abroad trip is planned to take place this May in Madrid, Spain.

The trip will give students an opportunity to have a firsthand experience in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics professions (STEM), as well as feminism.

“It is another opportunity to show how viable WGS is as a field, as a program, as a career,” Jarrett said. “It’s something people can do something with after they graduate.”

Ari Hartloff, a junior women's and gender studies major, plans to attend the trip in May. 

“I am most looking forward to the culture and seeing how the dynamics differ from our small town of Muncie,” Hartloff said.

The trip is open to all majors, and the application is due Feb. 15.

Jarrett hopes one day the program will become a department. She said one thing the program needs is more faculty and staff.

“In order for us to continue growing and to continue being really successful, we need people that can dedicate their time full-time,” Jarrett said.

Hartloff said taking a women's and gender studies class is great for learning about the world and one's self.

“The program teaches more than just skills applicable to the world," Hartloff said. "It teaches about how we can improve ourselves and often compares to situations the majority of us have gone through at some point in our formative years."