Two Ball State trustees asked Pence in December to resign from board

Frank Hancock - Board of Trustees
Frank Hancock - Board of Trustees

Frank Hancock and Marianne Glick, two members of the Ball State Board of Trustees, are planning to resign from the board. Both submitted resignation letters to Governor Mike Pence on Dec. 17.

Frank Hancock
Marianne Glick

Former President Paul W. Ferguson's resignation was approved by the Board of Trustees on Jan. 25 and described as a "mutual decision" between Ferguson and the university. Glick and Hancock's resignation letters, which were written in December, do not hint at Ferguson's future resignation. 

“The timing is unfortunate but I had no clue when they would release (the resignation letter)," Glick said. 

Both Hancock and Glick spent about 10 years on the board.

Dustin Meeks, the student representative of the Board of Trustees, said the reasons for the resignations are "their own private business," but that "we should see their replacements relatively soon."

Hancock mentioned in his letter to Pence his opinion that fresh faces and term limits are needed for any organization. 

He wrote, "The Ball State Board of Trustees now with a new president very much different than Jo Ann [Gora, regarding Ferguson] needs some fresh faces, new ideas on its board as well." 

Vice chair Hancock joined board in 2006 and was vice president in 2012 and 2013. He kept his role, albeit with a different title, in January 2014. The Ball State alumnus (class of 1970) is also the founder and owner of Sport Graphics Inc., a company that helped create the “graphic identities” for Scheumann Stadium and Worthen Arena.

Glick's letter, on the other hand, was an appeal to Pence to be placed on the Ivy Tech Community College Board, where she feels that she is called to serve.

"I don't know if there is an opportunity to serve [Ivy Tech] rather than Ball State, ... but it is where my heart is leading me," she wrote. 

However, Glick told the Daily News she was resigning to dedicate time to other things, like her family's foundation or other philanthropic efforts.

Assistant secretary Glick joined the board in 2006 and was voted assistant secretary in January 2014. She serves on the board of directors for the Eugene & Marilyn Glick Family Foundation, the Gene B. Glick Company, the Central Indiana Community Foundation, United Way of Central Indiana and the Women’s Fund of Central Indiana. 

The governor has not yet appointed new trustees to replace Hancock and Glick, so they are still on the board, university spokeswoman Joan Todd said.

Meeks said he doesn't think the resignations will hinder the hiring process for a new president. The new members will be acclimated quickly and the board will stay on track.

“I have a very strong conviction that the board is led by incredible leadership, that whoever Gov. Pence picks to replace Marianne and Frank will be the best possible options for the board," Meeks said. " ... And I think as a whole the university is looking at a very bright future.

“Everybody is in the place that they should be in, and we’re progressing.”

The board will meet Feb. 5 in executive session, which is not open to the public. 

The announcement for the session said the board will meet to discuss initiation of litigation, employee status, purchase of real property and labor negotiations. 

VIDEO BY TONY SANDLEDEN

Frank Hancock – Vice chair Hancock joined board in 2006 and was vice president in 2012 and 2013. He kept his role, albeit with a different title, in January 2014. The Ball State alumnus (class of 1970) is also the founder and owner of Sport Graphics Inc., a company that helped create the “graphic identities” for Scheumann Stadium and Worthen Arena. Hancock is also the former president of the Metropolitan School District of Warren Township.

Marianne Glick – Assistant secretary Glick joined the board in 2006 and was voted assistant secretary in January 2014. She serves on the board of directors for the Eugene & Marilyn Glick Family Foundation, the Gene B. Glick Company, the Central Indiana Community Foundation, United Way of Central Indiana and the Women’s Fund of Central Indiana. The Butler alumna won the 2010 Indiana Woman of Influence award from Ball State, as well as an Honorary Alumni Award from the Ball State Alumni Association in 2013.

Who else is on the Board of Trustees? See our article here.