Ball State students freeze for Special Olympics

<p>Members of the Ball State Phi Sigma Kappa took a bus to IPFW on Feb. 13 to jump into a pool of freezing water for Special Olympics Indiana. Ball State students raised the most amount of money for the Special Olympics Indiana Polar Plunge. <em>DN PHOTO JENNA LISTON</em></p>

Members of the Ball State Phi Sigma Kappa took a bus to IPFW on Feb. 13 to jump into a pool of freezing water for Special Olympics Indiana. Ball State students raised the most amount of money for the Special Olympics Indiana Polar Plunge. DN PHOTO JENNA LISTON

If you are interested in donating, becoming a coach or a volunteer, visit soindiana.org to learn more about the organization.

The freezing temperatures over the weekend didn't stop Ball State students from raising the highest amount of money for the Special Olympics Indiana Polar Plunge.

Ball State Phi Sigma Kappa took a bus from Ball State to IPFW on Feb. 13 to jump into the freezing water for Special Olympics Indiana. 

Special Olympics Indiana is a non-for-profit organization that provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in more than 20 Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, according to soindiana.org.

The fraternity joined other teams taking the plunge at IPFW and anxiously awaited to dive into the frigid cold water while standing in 16 degree temperatures.

Dakota Lopez, junior president of Phi Sigma Kappa and top fundraiser for the event, said the experience was exciting and well worth the cold.

“It’s something everyone should do. We as a fraternity do this to help out the Special Olympics because it goes towards a great cause,” Lopez said.

Ball State’s fraternity won most money raised by a team, top individual fundraiser and the largest team.