Byte Top Five: Best Legendaries

With the twentieth anniversary of Pokémon on the horizon, the Byte Features team will be looking at the best and worst of those Pocket Monsters you can’t help by love. This week we will be looking at the best Pokemon legendaries

5. Articuno - Meghan Duffy

Name a more fabulous legendary out there, I dare you. Of course, that’s a pretty impossible dare as Articuno is the most fabulous legendary out there. Articuno is the stand-out legendary from its trio, with both an incredible design and an attack that will knock your opponent’s pokemon out in one hit.

But the attacks don’t matter that much to me, what matters is how darn adorable it is. Look at its little bird face and it’s fantastic tail. It’s a fluffy ice bird, how could you not love it? Articuno is 100% a bird anybody could love, and here at Byte we definitely love it.

Photo Credit: Tumblr

4. Mew- Emily Reuben

Mew is not only one of the cutest legendary Pokémon, it’s one of the most elusive. This psychic kitten was the original secret hidden within the first generation of games enticing many players with its rarity. Often, the only hope of catching Mew is by glitch, or official Nintendo distribution, making it one of the most sought after Pokémon throughout the entire series.

Mew is so rare that rumors would often pop up around the internet telling players “super-secret methods” to catch mew, such as looking under a truck. Looking back, these were obviously fake, but the desperation to catch the 151st Pokémon led some players to try anything in order to encounter it. With the power to learn any TM in the game, Mew has a wide range of strategies that can be utilized. This makes Mew a wild card; you never know what moves it has, making this deceptively cute Pokémon a dangerous opponent.

Photo Credit: Imgur

3. Giratina - Jake Doolin

Giratina is great because while it looks like a threatening beast, it’s actually just a big dummy. For a creature that can travel through dimensions at will and is super protective of it’s home, Giratina doesn’t do a great job of projecting any kind of toughness.

Even when it’s using it’s powerful Dragon Breath attack, all I can see is a big dog opening it’s mouth in excitement to see its owner (although I assume a dog wouldn’t blow it’s owner a mile away like Giratina would). It’s also adorably attached to mirrors and ponds so it can look at itself, which is just too cute.  

Photo Credit: Deviant Art 

2. Lugia - Dalton Martin

Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice, or lightning, else you have Lugia, the guardian of the sea, to deal with. Besides being the mascot of Pokemon Silver, being the central star of the second Pokemon movie, and being the ultimate weapon in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, Lugia is simply a bona-fide force of nature that is not to be reckoned with.

Not only is it the leader of the legendary bird Pokemon, but it purposely lives underwater in solitude due to the catastrophic power one flap of its wings can make. Being a beautiful combination of both elegance and destruction, it’s no wonder Lugia is a fan favorite, and ranks so high on this list.

Photo Credit: Giphy

1. Entei - Nick Dowell

Entei is now and always will be my favorite legendary Pokemon. I love everything about the Legendary Beasts in Gold/Silver/Crystal, from their design to their lore.

Entei, however, steals the show primarily because of his role in the third Pokemon movie (which, coincidentally, is the highest rated of the early Pokemon movies with a whopping 22% on Rotten Tomatoes!). In that, we see him take on the role of a girl’s deceased father and fight tooth and nail to keep her safe. It’s a story that lives on in my heart and makes me wonder why I couldn’t have a magical fire dog be my dad.

Photo Credit: Tumblr