Men's swimming and diving travels to Evansville for MAC meet

<p>Freshman Zach Toman prepares to swim in the medley relay&nbsp;during the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23, 2015 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY</p>

Freshman Zach Toman prepares to swim in the medley relay during the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23, 2015 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

This will the last dual Mid-American Conference meet of the season for the Cardinals.

The Cardinals came out of the co-ed Butler Invitational on Jan. 24 placing third overall out of five men’s teams. The team also had success individually, along with many relay teams.

Junior Austin Green’s performance contributed to the team’s overall success when he took second place in the men’s 50 freestyle race. Green put up 21.47 seconds across the board for a new season best.

Head coach Robert Thomas hopes his athletes will keep up Green’s trend for the rest of the season.

“Friday’s meet will most likely come down to how many season best times we can achieve,” Thomas said. “We should be able to compete well in the freestyle events, with the key being the stroke events in Evansville's favor.”

Green's momentum carried into the 100 freestyle, when he claimed fourth place overall and the Cardinals picked up fifth and seventh place finishes in the 400 freestyle relay.

The Cardinal team plans to keep up the momentum they’ve had on the road this season as they take on the Purple Aces at Wyttenbach Pool.

“We would definitely like to beat Evansville in their pool,” Thomas said. “Our main focus will be to compete well and finish races strong.”

The team will then return home to the Lewellen Aquatic Center to host their senior night meet against Miami on Feb. 13.