Two Cats Café to open in Village soon

<p>The Two Cats Cafe is moving into the place where the Locker Room bar used to be. DN PHOTO KAITLIN LANGE</p>

The Two Cats Cafe is moving into the place where the Locker Room bar used to be. DN PHOTO KAITLIN LANGE

Two Cats Cafe will open in the Village on Jan 29. The owner wants to make the new restaurant a place for those under 21 to come hang out in the Village. 

"We’re having this stage and students can come here, enjoy their time. They can do their homework… just chill here without the hangover the next morning,” owner Basam Helwani said.

While working at Damask Cafe, Helwani was told multiple times that he should come to the Village — and so he did. He named the cafe after the two kittens he received from his son.

Helwani noticed the closure of the Locker Room and Cleo’s Bourban Bar and realized that the bar business wasn’t flourishing, so he decided to open a different kind of restaurant. To him, it made more business sense.

“I don’t want to compete with this kind of business; let’s add something fresh, healthy and new to the Village,” Helwani said. “We’re going to have lots of smoothies, crepes… hearty, good food, as well as elegant and trendy food concepts.”

The lunch menu will feature sandwiches and wraps, and the dinner menu will add dishes, like salmon and chicken. Breakfast will be served all day and there won’t be alcohol available, but hookah will be available for smoking when the outdoor area opens. A small stage is open to performers — a poetry reading has already taken place there. 

Helwani said he doesn’t want Two Cats to compete with Damask or any other Village restaurant. Damask has allowed him to work closely with Ball State’s hospitality program, and he hopes to get more involved on campus and do more events, like stand-up comedy and live music.

Orders can be placed for dine-in or carryout. Two Cats will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.