LISTON UP!: 2016 Oscar nominations still lack diversity

Jenna Liston is a telecommunications and broadcast journalism major and writes "Liston Up!" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Jenna at jrliston@bsu.edu.

Jenna Liston

There’s an upset amongst viewers of the annual Oscars award show. This year, like last, all the Academy Awards nominations for lead and supporting actors are white.

Obviously, students at Ball State, including myself, are upset.

After “celebrating” Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, wouldn’t you think that equality for all would include the nominations for these roles?

Some major names in line for receiving these awards include Leonardo DiCaprio, Bryan Cranston and Matt Damon. For "actress in a leading role," Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett and Brie Larson were nominated.

All white.

Comedians and late night talk show hosts have already taken a few stabs at these nominees, but what does this really mean for the candidates who are missing out?

Regardless of your race, gender, religious views or backgrounds, everyone should have an equal opportunity to win.

Celebrities including Jada Pinkett Smith, Will Smith’s wife, will not be in attendance after hearing her husband was not nominated for his role in recent football drama “Concussion."

“Begging for acknowledgement or even asking [to be nominated] diminishes dignity,” she said, according to ABC News. “It diminishes power and we are a dignified people, and we are powerful. So let’s let the Academy do them with all grace and love, and let’s do us differently.”

Although the lack of diversity is obvious, Chris Rock, the host this year, will still be in attendance on Feb. 28 and is instead making jokes about the situation.