Ball State track and field opens season with several career-best performances

<p>Senior thrower Marie Lumpkin started her season with a record-breaking 18.55m weight throw. She broke broke the record by .07m.<em>&nbsp;</em><em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY BRAD CAUDILL</em></p>

Senior thrower Marie Lumpkin started her season with a record-breaking 18.55m weight throw. She broke broke the record by .07m. PHOTO PROVIDED BY BRAD CAUDILL

Head-to-head Scores

Ball State vs. IPFW (85-49)

Ball State vs. Butler (90-28)

Ball State vs. Miami (77-50)

Ball State vs. Oakland (85-59)

Ball State vs. Xavier (82-37)

First-year head coach Brian Etelman began his career at Ball State leading the Cardinals track and field team to several individual career-bests as well as a broken record.

Senior thrower Marie Lumpkin kicked off her season with a record-breaking 18.55m weight throw, breaking the previous school record by .07m.

“Marie Lumpkin was outstanding,” Etelman said in a statement. “Not only did she beat our school record in the weight throw, but to do it this early in the season is an indicator that there is plenty more to come from her.”

Lumpkin’s previous weight throw was set on Feb. 20 2015, where she marked an 18.36m throw at home.

She was not the only one who performed at a high level on Dec. 5. There were 14 career-best records set across the board for the Cardinals. First place finishes came in the triple jump by senior Zenee Gadson (11.19m), mile run by junior Jordan Timmons (5:29.46), 600m run by senior Danielle Dahl (1:35.42) and 4x400m relay by junior Makelle Skelton, sophomore Gabbie Sims, Dahl and Skelton (1:35.42).

“I could not be more pleased with how we competed today,” Etelman said. “It was all that we hoped it to be, and then some. It was a perfect way to lay the competitive foundation for track season. All of our athletes have been waiting patiently since September to represent our program and our university. They were determined to give us something we could all be proud of and they certainly delivered. The positive energy we fed off of with all of the great performances and wins culminated in a successful meet in all event areas.”

Marie Lumpkin

First place finishes were not just contributed by the upperclassmen, several freshmen performed at career-bests during their first collegiate meet. First-place finishes by Cardinal freshmen came from Jazmin Smith in the 60m hurdles (8.92), Payton Stewart in the 60m dash (7.65) and Amber McGee in the 300m dash (41.01).

Overall, the Cardinals had head-to-head victories against the other five teams at the IPFW Athletics Center Field House.

The team’s next competition will be at the Bowling Green Opener on Jan 9.