Two Muncie residents charged with armed invasion at The Grove

<p>Two Muncie residents were charged yesterday after police said they&nbsp;staged an armed invasion of an apartment at The Grove complex just north of Ball State's campus.&nbsp;<em>DN PHOTO KAYLN STENSRUD</em></p>

Two Muncie residents were charged yesterday after police said they staged an armed invasion of an apartment at The Grove complex just north of Ball State's campus. DN PHOTO KAYLN STENSRUD

The two men, 21-year-old Robert Earl Booker IV and 19-year-old Harold Lee Smith, are being held in the Delaware County Jail for burglary, robbery and intimidation, according to the Muncie Police Department.

MPD officers were called to the apartment complex on Oakwood Avenue just before 1 a.m. on Dec. 1. 

The renters of the apartment that was broken into told police they saw two intruders, both armed with handguns, inside their apartment after hearing a bedroom window had been broken out. 

The occupants told police they locked themselves in a bathroom until officers arrived on the scene. It is unknown if the residents were Ball State students.

Smith surrendered when officers arrived on the scene, but Booker tried to run away before he was apprehended, Muncie police Sgt. Mike Engle said. Investigators recovered a sweatshirt and gun Booker had abandoned while fleeing.

Booker was also arrested for possession of methamphetamine after police reported finding the substance in the back seat of the patrol car Booker had been transported in. 

Booker said his accomplice had forced him to participate in the robbery and said a third, unknown man told them they would find “lots of money and drugs” inside of the apartment.

Ball State University police assisted MPD during the incident, and the university sent an email to students around 11 a.m. on Dec. 1 that said "there was no ongoing or continuing threat to the Ball State community."

Both suspects are being held under $20,000 bonds.

Engle said detectives are continuing to investigate the possible involvement of others in the crime.