Three DIY holiday decorations

<p>3-D paper snowflake&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">DN PHOTO </i><em style="background-color: initial;">SABRINA SCHNETZER</em></p>

3-D paper snowflake DN PHOTO SABRINA SCHNETZER

Deck the halls at the apartment or residence hall with these three do-it-yourself holiday decorations. 

Popsicle Snowflake

What You Need:

• Popsicles (Walmart: $3.66)
  • Holiday paint colors: blue, green, red, white, gold (Walmart: 50 cents each)
  • Paint brushes (Walmart: 99cents for 4 pack of foam brushes)
  • Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks (Walmart: $5.06)
  • Newspaper (free)
  • Optional: glitter glue (Walmart: $4)

Steps:

1. Plug in hot glue gun. Place down a newspaper to keep the work surface clean.
  2. Arrange popsicles into a snowflake shape.
  3. Hot glue popsicle sticks together.
  4. Paint the snowflake a holiday color.
  5. Optional: Decorate the snowflake with glitter glue.
  6. Let it dry and then hang it. 

3-D paper snowflake

What You Need:

• Six pieces of paper (Walmart: $6.97)
  • Tape (Walmart: $3.81)
  • Scissors (Walmart: $1.99, Bracken Library: free)
  • Stapler with staples (Walmart: $5.10, Bracken Library: free)

Steps:

1. Fold each of the six pieces of paper in half, diagonally. If the paper does not make a perfect triangle, cut off the rectangular edge that sticks out and make it align perfectly. The result should be a square folded into a triangle.
  2. Fold the triangle in half, noting where the folded "bottom" of the triangle is.
  3. Cut three lines in the triangle. Position the scissors along the bottom fold, and parallel to one of the edges going up to the top. Cut almost all the way up to the double folded crease, but not quite. Keep about the same distance between each cut.
  4. Unfold the triangle again. Turn it so one of the square’s points faces you.
  5. Keeping your paper diamond side-up, roll the first two innermost paper lines together to form a tube. Tape these two pieces together. Triangle shapes should be visible on each side of the roll.
  6. Turn the diamond over to the other side. Take the next two paper lines and pull them together on the opposite side of the tube. Tape together as before. This will produce a more rounded shape wider than the first tube.
  7. Keep turning the paper and joining the paper lines together on opposite sides in the same fashion until all paper lines have been joined.
  8. Repeat steps three through seven with the remaining five pieces of paper.
  9. Join three of the completed rolled pieces together at one end and staple them together using the other hand. Do this to the other three pieces. There should be two pieces consisting of three strands each.
  10. Staple the two new pieces together in the middle.
  11. Staple where each of the six strands meet. This ensures that the snowflake shape is pulled into place.
  12. Hang them or place them on a flat surface.

Christmas Tree Canvas

What You Need:

• Paint: green, red, gold, brown (Walmart: 50 cents each, total $2)
  • Canvas (Walmart: 5x7 for $2.77)
  • Paint brushes (Walmart: 30 pack- 97 cents)

Steps:

1. Find a Christmas themed quote. It can be a movie or book quote, bible verse, song chorus or anything else.
  2. Using a pencil, lightly trace a large triangle shape onto the canvas. Then, trace a star on the top of the triangle and a rectangle on the bottom. This is the tree shape.
  3. Paint the star gold.
  4. Using a paintbrush, write the quote inside the tree in horizontal lines alternating colors of red and green. In brown paint, write the source or artist of the quote as the rectangular truck of the tree. For example, write “Mariah Carey” or “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.”
  5. Let the paint dry and then erase the pencil markings. Finally, hang the painting in a dorm or apartment.