Ball State men's volleyball hosts in-state rival IPFW

The members of the men's volleyball team celebrate their victory over IPFW on April 20, 2013. With this win, the Cardinals have a 21-5 recored and will advance to the next round of the MIVA Tournament. DN PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

The Ball State men’s volleyball team played host to in-state rival Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne on Nov. 21. IPFW was the last of four fall tournaments the Cardinals participated in this season.

Team's play five full sets in fall scrimmages, just like they will in the spring. The Cardinals defeated the Mastodons in four of those five sets winning the first set 25-13, dropping the second 25-18 and winning the third, fourth and fifth sets 25-18, 25-18 and 25-20, respectively.

Ball State head coach Joel Walton started the first set with junior Alex Pia, junior Brendan Surane, senior Jack Lesure, freshmen Adam Wessel, sophomore Mitch Weiler and senior Hiago Garchet. Sophomore Matt Walsh also saw playing time. 

The Cardinals began the match with five straight points and never looked back. IPFW took its first lead in the second set at 6-5. The final three sets were a close battle at the net with strong play from outside attacker Surane and middle attacker Walsh.

The scrimmage was a preview of a much-anticipated Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association matchup this season. The Mastodons will return to Worthen Arena on Feb. 11 during the regular season. Ball State will open its regular season on Jan. 1 at Worthen Arena hosting Stanford.