Freedom Bus project to end next semester

The Freedom Bus is coming to Ball State Friday, November 6, 2015 and students have the chance to get a free tour after a brief presentation at 3:30 p.m. in AJ 175.

Beth Messner, Freedom Bus coordinator and Communications professor, will speak about the Freedom Bus project and what she and her students have completed so far.

The bus has been in progress for years and for the past few semesters Ball State students have been using their skills to help make the project better.

The Freedom Bus is an educational project that is meant to tell people about some of the struggles for equality and freedom that took place in Indiana.

Messner says the bus is intended to get people thinking about their history.

“We’re hoping that what we do gets people talking about civil rights and more than that inspires them to get involved in that struggle.”

The past few semesters have been a learning experience for Messner and her students who helped to develop the traveling museum.

“The journey has been multifaceted,” said Messner. It has for me, and I think for my students as well over the course of the last three semesters, really stretched us in some very powerful ways.”

The Freedom Bus is not yet complete, but the project is expected to be finished in the spring semester.

Anyone who wants to donate money to help with this project can do so at www.gofundme.com and search “MLK  dream team.”