Kegs not available for purchase in Muncie for safety reasons, low profit

<p>Despite featuring a sign with a keg on it, Muncie Liquors doesn't have any for sale. The local chain stopped selling in August 2005.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</i></p>

Despite featuring a sign with a keg on it, Muncie Liquors doesn't have any for sale. The local chain stopped selling in August 2005. DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Despite the signs outside of Muncie Liquors that read, “KEGS KEGS KEGS,” the local chain doesn’t have any for sale.

“We don’t sell kegs — just the alcohol and the taps,” said Muncie Liquors manager Chris Johnson.

Starting in August 2005, liquor stores in Muncie stopped selling kegs to ditch low profits compared to beer sales when sold by the case, Johnson said. 

The decision also aimed to help cut down on alcohol-related violence and accidents.

“It’s safer,” Johnson said. “We haven’t been selling kegs for awhile, and other liquor stores around here have done the same.”

Muncie Liquors isn't alone. Save-On Liquor still isn’t selling kegs at its six stores in Muncie, and Friendly Package also has not brought back kegs for purchase.

“We still aren’t selling them – but we still sell alcohol,” said Friendly Package owner Michael Kilgore. “[Kegs] are hard to find, but they can still be purchased.”

Kegs can’t be purchased anywhere in Muncie, and Gaston Liquors is the only liquor store in Delaware County that sells them. Gaston Liquors did not respond for comment, but the store advertises keg sales around $100.

Although there are no explicit laws or codes in the City of Muncie prohibiting the sale of kegs, Anderson is the next closest city outside of Delaware County where those of age can purchase kegs.

Ball State is also a no-keg zone during university events where alcohol is permitted.

“No kegs are allowed at football games,” said Michael Clark, associate athletics director for strategic communications. “Tailgating is a fun tradition, but all beverages should be in aluminum cans, plastic bottles or paper or plastic cups.”