Students, faculty join together in vigil for University of Missouri

<p>More than 70 Ball State students and faculty joined at the Frog Baby fountain for a prayer vigil on Nov. 12&nbsp;to show support for recent incidents of racial conflict at the University of Missouri. The gathering was led by members of Impact, a local movement based on Christian leadership in the African American community. <em>DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

More than 70 Ball State students and faculty joined at the Frog Baby fountain for a prayer vigil on Nov. 12 to show support for recent incidents of racial conflict at the University of Missouri. The gathering was led by members of Impact, a local movement based on Christian leadership in the African American community. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Ball State has not had any reports of hate crimes in the last three years, according to the 2015 campus security report released in early October

More than 70 Ball State students and faculty joined at the Frog Baby fountain for a prayer vigil Nov. 12 to show support for recent incidents of racial conflict at the University of Missouri.

The University of Missouri, or Mizzou, has been in the spotlight lately for recent incidents of racial conflict, which included a hunger strike by a graduate student, the threatened sit-out of the football team and the resignation of the university’s president.

The gathering, organized by sophomore telecommunications major LJ Herbert, was led by members of Impact, a local movement based on Christian leadership in the African American community.

“We want to let students at Mizzou know that their concerns are being heard,” Herbert said. “But we also want to extend that same hand out to our local community at Ball State to let them know that they don’t need to be hurt or afraid if something happens to them, too.”

Herbert said he felt inspired to host the vigil after hearing reports about Hunter M. Park, who was held by University of Missouri’s campus police department, charged with making a terrorist threat and transferred to Boone County Jail where he was held on a $4,500 bond, police said. Park is from Lake St. Louis, Mo., and is not a Mizzou student.

“I just really put myself in that situation and thought about if I was a student of color [at Mizzou],” Herbert said. “I really took into consideration the dangers that a lot of young students of color are facing across the country—it’s very important and relevant right now.”

Fellow Impact leader Bryce Dotson said with events like those at Mizzou, it’s important that Christians encourage unity among others, regardless of race.

“We want to bring people together to tell them about the truth,” Dotson said.

Although Dotson said he’s always felt safe on Ball State’s campus, he said he still frequently faces situations where the ignorance can be challenging.

“Ignorance can really just be the lack of knowledge,” Dotson said. “Especially between people of different colors, there’s nothing wrong with that [ignorance], and it’s a great opportunity to teach that person and learn together.”

Herbert said he too has felt impacted by “racial generalizations,” but the support and community he has at Ball State gives him the encouragement he needs.

“I think the university is striving toward greatest and stressing the understanding of diversity,” Herbert said. “I’ve come to learn and share that Jesus Christ has came, he’s risen, he lived and he died in our place, and because the image of God is in every person, everyone deserves the same respect—in this community and in all others around the world.”

President Paul W. Ferguson released an email to students earlier today addressing diversity and the importance of campus inclusion.

“I take this opportunity to affirm our commitment to diversity as we continue to explore ways to express that commitment to members of the Ball State Community,” Ferguson wrote in an email. “We have had the dialogue, and now we must act on the values of diversity and inclusion we hold as an institution—a community where every member can be engaged in the opportunities and advantages that come with being a Cardinal.”

Quianna Young, a sophomore finance major, heard about the vigil on Facebook and said she wanted to come and support students of Mizzou with love and prayers.

“I think it’s important that we come together in times like this. Tweets aren’t enough — we need to come together as a community and do something,” Young said.

After first hearing about incidents at Mizzou, Young said she was outraged that events like that were still going on, especially on college campuses.

“When I saw on social media how people were being treated, I was so angry ... I had to shut down all of my social media because I couldn’t contain all of my anger,” Young said. “I’m so thankful that the Ball State community is here to share love and not worry about all of the hate that still exists today.”

Garrett Craig, a sophomore exercise science major, said he came to the vigil because he wanted to learn more about unity and pray about current racial issues.

“It’s kind of shocking to me because I haven’t experienced it first-hand,” Craig said. “I really think what happened at Mizzou is a big problem, and it really opened my eyes to a lot of current racial issues. I really support this, and I pray that God puts his hand on this.”

During the vigil, Impact leaders led prayer and offered to talk to students about how to support fellow college students with "open arms."

“Even though we’re far apart, we can still have an impact and reach our hands out to those at Mizzou and around the world,” Herbert said.