Residence halls host diversity talks

<p>The housing office is accepting applications for students interested in becoming a Residence Assistant or an Academic Peer Mentor. To be hired in one of these positions, the student must pass certain requirements. <em>Samantha Brammer // DN File</em></p>

The housing office is accepting applications for students interested in becoming a Residence Assistant or an Academic Peer Mentor. To be hired in one of these positions, the student must pass certain requirements. Samantha Brammer // DN File

Several residence halls are working to start the conversation on race and diversity with their residents. 

The halls, including Noyer Complex, Woodworth Complex, DeHority Complex and Botsford/Swinford in Johnson Complex, either plan to or already have held open conversations on the recent events at the University of Missouri.

Noyer held its discussion Nov. 16 during lunchtime. 

Matthew Hageny, residence hall director for Howick/Williams, said he “was impressed by [residents'] willingness to share” their experiences and said Noyer’s hall staff will possibly host more conversations throughout the year on a regular basis.

“Our goal in hosting the Noyer Diversity Dialogue was to provide a time and venue for our students to share their thoughts, feelings, experiences, etc. in a safe and respectful environment,” Hageny said in an email.

Senior biology and pre-veterinary studies major Hillary Threatt wasn't expecting any change to occur and thought of the talk as a swapping of ideas.

"I believe that anything labeled as 'multi-cultural' has a 'this doesn't apply to me' type of [stigma] attached to it so most students, who feel like they don't identify as a minority, would be turned away from it when actually these types of messages need to be heard by everyone," Threatt said.

Botsford/Swinford will host their talk Nov. 19 at 9 p.m. in Media Studio One.