Lindley becomes key contributor after transfer

<p><em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS  </em></p>

PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS  

Individual finishes this season

Redbird Invitational - T45 (238)

Cardinal Classic - T18 (225)

TPC River's Bend Bearcat Classic - T20 (237)

The Preview - T3 (223)

In the offseason following women's golfer Allison Lindley's freshman year at University of Iowa, Ball State head women’s golf coach Katherine Mowat received a phone call. Mowat was elated when Lindley called to ask if there was still a spot for her on the Cardinal roster.

Since then, Lindley has gained the trust of Mowat, leading the Cardinals' lineup in numerous statistical categories after her first season at Ball State.

In just one season, she has shown what she can bring to the team, and Mowat has taken notice.

“She’s one of those athletes who we know is going to be in the lineup," Mowat said. "We know her scores are going to count for the team, so she plays an important role.”

Lindley is a Kokomo native and Western High School alumna. In her senior year, she was the second-best golfer in Indiana while also recording three Indiana All-State performances throughout her high school career.

Following high school, she went to golf at the University of Iowa in an effort to play for a Big Ten school with about 31,000 other students. 

“At first I wanted to play at a bigger school and go away from home,” Lindley said. “It was definitely a good experience, and I think it did help me overall."

Lindley played well in her first season as a Hawkeye, competing in eight tournaments while obtaining three top-20 finishes along the way.

Despite the success, the school was not for her.

She found a new home 415 miles away in a town called Muncie, just under 60 miles away from her hometown of Kokomo.

After one season, she has gotten into a rhythm at Ball State. In her sophomore year, she led the Cardinals with a 77.86 stroke average, marking the 10th best in program history. In her 10 events last season, she managed five top-20 performances and two top-10s.

She now has a chance to reflect and rejoice looking back on her decision. In the Mid-American Conference Championships last season, Lindley was able to wrap up her season tying for 11th place individually in the tournament.

One of her favorite moments came wearing a Cardinal uniform. It was in the Cardinal Cup last fall, hosted by the University of Louisville. She tied for 14th overall in the tournament, which started with her best single round of her collegiate career, shooting a 72 in the first round.

Lindley recalls the occasion as one of her favorite golf memories.

“There was a par four, there’s water on the right, I hit a hybrid off the tee 104 yards out and I made my approach shot with a wedge ... I actually took out part of the cup, so a chunk was missing,” Lindley said.

Lindley has only improved, shooting a new personal best of 70 this fall. One of Lindley’s season goals was to break par at the collegiate level. Something she has already accomplished at the Cardinal Classic, which was held in Yorktown, Ind., on Sept. 22 this season.

The team will travel to Simpsonville, Ky., this weekend as Lindley returns to one of her favorite moments at the Cardinal Cup.

Mowat has high hopes for Lindley and the rest of the team as it wraps up its final invite of 2015.

“We want to leave each practice feeling we got better,” Mowat said. “We want to go to a tournament and compete, whether that puts us in first or sixth—just that feeling that an athlete gets that we were competitive.”

Following this tournament, the women's golf team will not compete again until Feb. 12.