Only 2 students arrested during Homecoming week

<p>Only two students were arrested during the 2015 Homecoming week festivities. Indiana Excise Police did not come down to Muncie this year, and University Police Department didn't arrest any students.&nbsp;<em>DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLEMKAMP</em></p>

Only two students were arrested during the 2015 Homecoming week festivities. Indiana Excise Police did not come down to Muncie this year, and University Police Department didn't arrest any students. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLEMKAMP

Only two Ball State students were arrested during this year’s Homecoming week festivities. 

Indiana Excise Police were not present in Muncie, and the University Police Department made four arrests, none of which were students. However, UPD has not released the number of citations given during the week. 

Muncie police officers arrested two Ball State students during the week. James R. Johnson was arrested on Sept. 30 for drug possession, and Tyler Melby was arrested for an alcohol offense while driving on the morning of Oct. 5.

Johnson was apprehended by authorities at 2:25 a.m. Sept. 30 at the intersection of Barr Street and McGalliard Road.

Melby was taken into custody near the intersection of Memorial Drive and Hackly Street at 6:22 a.m. Oct. 5. The 22-year-old from Noblesville, Indiana, was operating while intoxicated with a blood alcohol content of .15 percent or greater, according to a Muncie Police report.

Both individuals have since been released from the Delaware County Jail.

Although Excise Police arrested or cited 45 people during 2014 Homecoming week, Indiana Excise Corporal Brandon Thomas said there were no arrests made or citations issued by the agency this year.

“Our agency is low on manpower at this time,” Thomas said. “Many of the officers were utilized in other areas of the state instead of working in Muncie over the weekend.”

The arrests made by UPD were comprised of alcohol offenses, including public intoxication, driving while intoxicated and vehicle damage while intoxicated. 

UPD did not respond to comment in time for print.