Women's swimming, diving victorious in 1st meet of season

<p>Swimmers prepare to swim in their events during the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY</p>

Swimmers prepare to swim in their events during the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Women’s swimming and diving claimed its first victory of the season Oct. 24 at Buffalo, defeating McMaster by a score of 157-141 and falling to host and Mid-American Conference rival Buffalo 219.5-79.5.

In the team’s first dual-meet of the season, the Cardinals received multiple strong performances from sophomore Andrea Richter posting a season-best 59.40 in the 100 fly. Another sophomore, Amanda Kedzierski, also put up strong times individually. Kedzierski recorded the best time in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:05.55. Sophomore Jenna Zitkus aided the team with a time of 1:00:40 in the 100-yard backstroke. 

Head coach Kristy Castillo was proud of the way her team put together two solid days of competition. 

“We did well as a team in terms of making some improvements where we needed to from practice and tried to transfer that into the meet,” Castillo said.

Senior Sydney Harris said while it was physically straining on their bodies to swim two days in a row, she was also proud of the way that her team came together to get its first victory.

“It was definitely hard for us to come off of swimming [Oct. 23] and then swimming [Oct. 24]," Harris said. "But I think we did well and everybody worked hard and we came away with our first win."

While competing on back-to-back days is physically straining on one's body, Castillo said that it’s not an excuse in a sense of performance.

The Cardinals have already been able to get good looks at what they are up against in the Mid-American conference so far this season, having faced off against Akron and Toledo on Oct. 23.

Castillo is using that knowledge as extra motivation in practice going forward.

“By going up against some of the MAC opponents, we definitely got to see where the competition is and can use that as a motivation to get back to work in practice,” Castillo said.

The Cardinals will continue Mid-American Conference in another back-to-back meet traveling to Miami on Oct. 30 and hosting Eastern Michigan on Oct. 31 for their home opener.