Cardinals look to continue home dominance

Members of the Ball State soccer team celebrate after scoring a point during the game against the Haiti National team on April 12 at the Briner Sports Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Remaining Schedule

Oct 23 - vs. Akron @ 4 p.m.

Oct 25 - vs. Buffalo @ 2 p.m.

Oct 29 - at Miami (OH) @ 1 p.m.

The team is coming off of a double overtime loss to Western Michigan on Oct. 18, which ended the team's record-tying eight-match win streak. 

Head coach Craig Roberts has been getting the team back on track this week at practice in preparation for this weekend's matches.

“I think we need to polish up our conversion, our style of play and what we have been doing has been very effective and we have the versatility to change formations as well,” Roberts said.

The Cardinals out-shot the Broncos 12-6, but were out-converted during their 1-2 loss. 

Junior captain Leah Mattingly views Oct. 18’s loss as a learning experience.

“It’s something that we can grow from and obviously come back stronger from,” Mattingly said. “It’s just an opportunity for us to prove ourselves.”

Despite the team's first loss in over a month, the Cardinals still lead the Mid-American Conference with three games remaining in their regular season schedule.

In a season where the Cardinals play only six home games, Mattingly believes finishing up MAC play at home works to their advantage.

“It’s been a little rough being on the road all of the time, so its great to finish off these last few games at home before going into the tournament,” Mattingly said.

The Cardinals will play their final two home matches this weekend. At 4 p.m. Oct. 23, they will host Akron (6-9-1)  and will take on Buffalo (9-5-2) at 2 p.m. Oct. 25.

Oct. 23 is senior day for the Cardinals and this year's team has seven seniors that will be honored prior to the match against Akron.

This will not be the last time that the seniors will take the field as they have already secured a spot in the conference tournament. 

“There will obviously be high emotions that day to recognize our tremendous seniors,” Roberts said.

Senior midfielder Chelsey Swachammer received a red card in Oct. 18’s game and will be forced to sit out against Akron Oct. 23. 

Swachammer will be missed Saturday, but Coach Roberts has full confidence in his team’s abilities to fight through even in her absence. 

“We don’t do stars, we don’t do cliques we do team,” Roberts said. “A replacement will go in for her and will execute exactly what we need to do in the game plan.”

The Cardinals currently hold the top seed in the west division and overall in the MAC with 21 points.