Indianapolis Colts sign former Ball State safety Sean Baker to practice squad

<p>Sean Baker takes part in practice during his stint with the Atlanta Falcons. Baker was released by the Falcons after training camp, and the Colts signed Baker to the practice squad on Oct. 29. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS</em></p>

Sean Baker takes part in practice during his stint with the Atlanta Falcons. Baker was released by the Falcons after training camp, and the Colts signed Baker to the practice squad on Oct. 29. PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Sean Baker - Ball State Accolades

• 2010 and 2011 Ball State Team Captain

• 2011 All-Mid-American Conference First Team

• 2010 All-Mid-American Conference Second Team

• 2010 Ball State John Magnabosco Award (MVP)

• 2011 Ball State John Magnabosco Award (MVP) Co-Recipient

• 2008 Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year

The Colts announced today they have signed safety Sean Baker to the practice squad. Former Cardinal Jonathan Newsome is on the team's active roster, while Eric Patterson spent time on both the practice squad and active roster this season before being released.

Baker most recently was with the Atlanta Falcons, where he spent training camp. He was released during final cuts on Sept. 4. First signed as an undrafted free agent by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012, he spent some time with the team's practice squad before being waived.

He later joined the Falcons, where he appeared in five games. Baker has two career tackles in the NFL.

Baker was a standout at Ball State, where he accumulated 338 career tackles in 43 starts. He was a two-time captain and was named to the All-Mid-American Conference First team his senior year. He was the MAC's Freshman of the Year in 2008.

The 6-foot-0 defensive back holds the Ball State career interceptions record with 18. He's the only player in school history to return two fumbles for touchdowns in a career.