Alpha Phi Omega hosts fashion show to raise awareness for breast cancer

<p>Andrea Magee does a model’s makeup before the Pretty in Pink fashion show that raised awareness about breast cancer. The event was hosted by Alpha Phi Omega to raise money for Little Red Door, an agency that provides support to cancer patients. <em>DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS</em></p>

Andrea Magee does a model’s makeup before the Pretty in Pink fashion show that raised awareness about breast cancer. The event was hosted by Alpha Phi Omega to raise money for Little Red Door, an agency that provides support to cancer patients. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

The Pretty in Pink fashion show wasn't just about looking good on the runway. 

The members of Alpha Phi Omega hosted their annual fashion show on Oct. 27 to raise awareness for breast cancer. The free event encouraged donations for Little Red Door, which helps ease financial burdens on breast cancer victims by providing wigs and aid equipment.

The event showcased four student designers who each presented their own line of clothing. Pretty in Pink’s chairman, Jenise Banks, said the show is the fraternity’s way of doing their part.

“We want to raise funds and awareness to breast cancer," Banks said. "Each year, we just want to make sure that we do our part in helping find a cure toward breast cancer. Not only are we giving back to the community, but we are giving back to the nation.”

One in eight U.S. women —  about 12 percent — will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime, according to the American Cancer Society. While breast cancer is primarily thought of as a cancer which develops in females, men have a one in 1,000 risk of developing the cancer. 

Little Red Door representative Cheryl Mathews said the organization is built on support for its patients.

“We at Little Red Door don’t cure anybody, we don’t treat anybody for their cancer. We provide supportive services and try and support them through that time by providing a number of items and services," Mathews said. "We do what we can to make them feel comfortable and, hopefully, get on with their lives." 

The show has run every year since 2009. Last year, Banks said that they raised $150, and they hoped to exceed that number this year.

For Jamie Hall, a freshman athletic training major, the show was more than just entertaining. 

“I loved the show. It was really inspirational, especially for all the people battling [breast cancer],” she said. “It felt very empowering. The way they tied it all together was really great.”

Freshman biology major Kerragan Garab also liked how they tied the fashion to breast cancer awareness. 

“I liked seeing the 'express yourself' part," Garab said. "I liked seeing what the model would wear, as well as the fact that most of the outfits had pink in them or something to do with breast cancer awareness."

See more photos from the fashion show here. 

The show's theme made an impact not only on the audience, but also on the models.

Model and freshman speech language pathology major Lexi Harmacinski said she doesn't have personal experience with breast cancer, but she knows it's not a subject to be taken lightly.

The show was a way of connecting with others and forming bonds against cancer, she said. It allowed her to make new friends and meet some upperclassmen in the process. 

“I haven’t necessarily had a member in my family affected by breast cancer, but cancer’s been a common thing in my family and my roommate — her mom recently died from breast cancer," Harmacinski said. "I think this is a great cause. Cancer is the kind of thing that is a big topic, and it needs to be fought.”