Air Jam winner Outlet still active after homecoming

<p>Outlet, a Ball State hip-hop group, has won Air Jam seven times in the last eight years. Students have also been using the dance troupe as an escape from college since 2003. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY MORGAN </em><em>FIGEL</em></p>

Outlet, a Ball State hip-hop group, has won Air Jam seven times in the last eight years. Students have also been using the dance troupe as an escape from college since 2003. PHOTO PROVIDED BY MORGAN FIGEL

In the last eight years, a Ball State hip-hop group has won Air Jam seven times. The group is aptly named Outlet, as it’s also served as students’ escape from college troubles since 2003.

“Dancing for me just lets me de-stress. We get to dance [at practices], which is something we all love to do,” said Morgen Fidel, Outlet's president.

Homecoming may be over, but Outlet's practices are not. They occur twice a week in the evening at the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Outlet’s members learn new routines in the building’s dance rooms.

Outlet’s performance schedule doesn’t end after Air Jam either. Fidel has added performances at events like St. Jude’s Up ‘til Dawn. Last year, Outlet performed at Dance Marathon, Mr. Phi, Eastside Bast and a Residence Hall Association event.

Outlet's work will culminate in their second big performance of the academic year—the spring showcase. Last year, they performed twelve different routines at the annual event.

The Spring Showcase started in 2006. The Outlet president at the time teamed up with a fashion major to create an event with a fashion show and dance numbers.

Dances are often choreographed by Outlet members.

“We allow everyone to make up their own group dances for the showcase. We work really hard to make sure it’s an exciting show and shows a variety of dances,” said Fidel.

Shannon Kaminski, a junior Outlet dancer, choreographed the beginning and end of this year’s Air Jam routine.

Kaminski has been involved in several organizations since she came to Ball State. She joined Outlet the second semester of freshman year, but she’s also a member of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority and has danced with the Code Red Dance Team.

Dance is a constant in her life. She teaches at several dance studios and does choreography for their competition teams. She said she enjoys Outlet because of the diversity of the dancers.

“I’ve been in the same groove for ten years. I’ve had the same teacher for hip hop. It was nice coming to Outlet because [there are] twenty different people from twenty different studios,” Kaminski said.

This is the second year Fidel is serving as Outlet's president. 

“Last year it was a very trial-and-error year for me. I tried to switch some things up from when I was previously on the team,” she said. “Some things worked, some things didn’t. This year I kind of know exactly how things are going to go.”

Planning events and choreographing dances have gotten easier for her. Outlet is still her reprieve from everyday life.

“I think it’s a great group to be a part of,” Fidel said. “It’s a great stress reliever.”