Muncie Civic Theatre promotes therapeutic art for people with disabilities

MUNCIE – Adults with mental and physical disabilities are taking center stage in a new program called Barrier Free Theatre. The Barrier Free program was started a year ago by Tracena Marie, Education Therapeutic Director at Muncie Civic, and she says the program gets great support with nearly 30 actors and 12 volunteers helping with the program. 

“That’s also really encouraging to see, to see everyone coming together for a common goal and to create something really wonderful,” she said.

Not only do the participants in the program get to be in the spotlight, but they are given the chance to try out the role of a playwright.

“What’s really cool about this program and what’s really special is that the actors create the characters and the material for the play themselves and we write an original script, and then it’s performed,” Marie said.

According to Marie, she has seen a tremendous amount of growth in the actors who were in her program last year. “It’s been really neat to see their boost in confidence, their ability to create like their not afraid anymore to come up with ideas.” 

The participants rehearse every Wednesday from September until their big show in May, where their hard work can finally pay off. Tickets to the production are only $5 and volunteers are welcome to help with the Barrier Free Theatre program. 

Visit Muncie Civic's Website to learn more about the program.