Muncie joins restaurant delivery service bandwagon

<p>Owner Jordan Presley delivers food to a customer at work. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY TRANZIND DELIVERY</em></p>

Owner Jordan Presley delivers food to a customer at work. PHOTO PROVIDED BY TRANZIND DELIVERY

Along with the national trend, Muncie too has joined the restaurant delivery craze. Tranzind Delivery, a food delivery service, serves the Muncie and Yorktown area. It began operating in May and has partnered with 15 local restaurants. Jordan Presley, part-owner of Tranzind Delivery, says the inspiration for Tranzind Delivery came from his father.

“He was paraplegic so that helped me to focus providing service like this,” Presley said. “In high school often when I or my mom wasn't around my dad had to go without. So I’ve always thought of doing something like this.”

Other college towns such as IU Bloomington, Purdue University in West Lafayette and Indiana State University in Terre Haute also offer similar services. However,owners Jordan Presley, Nick Chapel, Wilson Ganga, and friend Jeffery Newton said they saw a different need for a service like this in Muncie.

“We were at Walmart one day last winter and it felt like it was -11 degrees outside. We saw an older couple and we couldn't believe that 60 to 70 year olds had to come outside in the cold to get food. So we started brainstorming how we could get food to people that can’t get out or do not want to come out in such conditions,” Chapel said.

Chapel says the disabled and elderly are Tranzind Delivery’s biggest clientele.

“Paraplegics and elderly people really do enjoy our service. One time I made a delivery to a blind woman and she told me she’d just moved here from another state where they have grocery and restaurant delivery services that she used all the time and when she moved here she didn't have anything like that until now,” Chapel said.

But since the owners are current college students, they want to expand into the Ball State community. Nywanna Smith, sophomore at Ball State, says she can’t wait to try the new service.

“Everyone is talking about it and I can’t wait to try it out because I’m always so busy that I just don’t like to drive and get anything,” Smith said.

Since May, Tranzind Delivery has partnered with restaurants such as IHOP, Olive Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings, Culver's and more. Users can order via the Tranzind Delivery website or their mobile app for just a delivery fee of $3.99.

Menu

Tranzind Delivery drivers are called independent contractors and they are looking to employ more people.

“We currently have 4 drivers but we would like to have more on call,” Presley said.

Between delivery fees and tips, independent contractors can expect to make anywhere between $12-$15/hour in a non-traditional work environment.

“It's a different type of job because independent contractors are kind of like Uber drivers. You work on your own, you set up your own schedule, you work from home, whenever you get an order you just go drop it off,” Chapel said.

“Our drivers have a lot of freedom, it's a job where you could make good money and still be able to keep your daily schedule, it's very beneficial for college kids. We also pay you everyday,” Presley said.

In the future, Tranzind delivery plans to expand into the Anderson and Indianapolis area.

“We definitely could see ourselves going wherever the market is and wherever our service is needed.There are really no limits on where we can go with it.” Presley said.

Although they do have plans to expand, Tranzind Delivery owners say they want to build the foundation in Muncie before branching out.

“We want to build our team and make sure we have the foundation for the business here in Muncie before we expand to other cities,” Chapel said.

Tranzind Delivery operates from11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. daily and currently average about 12-15 orders a day. They are waiving the delivery fee for first time users if you use the code #CHIRP. For more information visit them online and add them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram