Minnetrista event highlights food trucks

<p>Minnetrista has organized an eight-part event series to increase the interaction between community and local businesses. This Friday's event is Food Truck Friday for those that are 21 and over for After Hours at Minnetrista on Oct. 16 from 6-8:30 p.m. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF FACEBOOK</em></p>

Minnetrista has organized an eight-part event series to increase the interaction between community and local businesses. This Friday's event is Food Truck Friday for those that are 21 and over for After Hours at Minnetrista on Oct. 16 from 6-8:30 p.m. PHOTO COURTESY OF FACEBOOK

What: After Hours at Minnetrista: Food Truck Friday

When: 6-8:30 p.m., Oct. 16

Where: 1200 North Minnetrista Parkway

Cost: $15

21-plus only 

An eight-part event series organized by Minnetrista aims to increase interaction between the community and local businesses—including a sector of the food industry that’s been restricted by recent legislation.

After Hours at Minnetrista’s seventh installment of the year is Food Truck Friday, a 21-plus event Oct. 16 from 6-8:30 p.m. at 1200 North Minnetrista Parkway, where people can sample cooking from three food trucks.

Earlier this year the city of Muncie passed an ordinance prohibiting food vendors from operating within 150 feet, or about half a block, of an established food service business during business hours.

Allison Schroer, Minnetrista’s manager of visitor experience, said Food Truck Friday is how Minnetrista is choosing to display their support for the food trucks. 

Food trucks are different than regular restaurants because they can specialize in certain types of food more easily, said Schroer. 

It's the first time food trucks have come to After Hours, which has been a Minnetrista program, albeit under different names, for five years. 

Food trucks aren’t the only Muncie business that After Hours at Minnetrista has supported. 

“The goal of After Hours at Minnetrista is to introduce people to new businesses around the city. It’s a way to try to not make people feel like they have to go to Indianapolis to have fun,” Schroer said.

Previous After Hours at Minnetrista events have included refreshments from the Heorot and fledgling restaurant Southern Grubbin.

Rolling Luau, The Uptown Dog and New Corner Brewing are the food trucks scheduled to appear at Food Truck Friday. 

Joe Mann, "Head Bear" of Three Bears Concessions and the owner of The Uptown Dog has been in the food truck business for over 30 years. He started selling food to put his daughter through Ball State.

It's been years since she's graduated, but Mann is still working. 

Despite the food truck ordinance, Mann said business has not changed for his food truck. 

“I know if I was paying for a place of business and had someone come set up shop out front taking my customers I would be pretty upset, so I understand there’s plenty of other work. From Minnetrista to Muncie fair grounds and other events,” he said.

Food Truck Friday will also include entertainment from Lord Franklin and Victoria Armstrong. The event is $15 to attend and Minnetrista membership discounts apply.