Be Here Now starts serving liquor

<p>Be Here Now now has a license to sell liquor; previously, they could sell beer and wine. Managment at Be Here Now hopes selling three types of alcohol will contribute to their business in the long run.&nbsp;<em>DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

Be Here Now now has a license to sell liquor; previously, they could sell beer and wine. Managment at Be Here Now hopes selling three types of alcohol will contribute to their business in the long run. DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Be Here Now is newly licensed to sell beer, wine and liquor, after obtaining a three-way liquor license.

In the past, the bar and music venue has only served beer and wine. Owner Whitney Stump said the new license should help attract customers.

“We hope that our investment in a [three]-way will provide more of a reason for people to attend Be Here Now and support the many amazing talents on display here each week,” Stump said in a Facebook message.

Be Here Now, which was founded by Ball State graduates, typically hosts three to four live music shows a week. Stump said the acts that play at Be Here Now are very good for the size of the building.

“We consistently bring in some of the best national acts possible for our size of venue," Stump said. 

In the past, people ages 18 years and older have been allowed to enter the establishment. Stump said they are reconsidering their policy after an incident earlier this year where a 19-year-old girl told police she had been drinking at the bar before she crashed her car into Muncie Liquors, but, in general, Be Here Now is a good place for the under-21 crowd.

“We have chosen to be all ages to give young people an opportunity and a safe place in which to participate in this culture, and in five-and-a-half years of business, we have had no issues with this,” Stump said. 

Marissa Long, a sophomore business major, said she likes going to Be Here Now, especially because she’s not old enough yet to participate in the rest of the Village’s nightlife.

“I’ve enjoyed going to Be Here Now since I’m not 21 yet. It still gives me the atmosphere that I’m excited to participate in once I can go to all of the bars in the Village,” Long said.

Brady Hertel, a junior history major, said the new liquor license shows that Be Here Now cares about what their customers want.

“Now that Be Here Now is selling beer, wine and liquor, I see it as a possibility to try them out since they’re trying to reach out and meet peoples’ needs,” Hertel said.