Proctor closer to home after transfer from Illinois

Colin Proctor

Year - Redshirt freshman

Hometown - Anderson, Ind.

High School - Pendleton Heights

Other college - Illinois

Colin Proctor

Two individual sectional titles, a pair of team sectional titles and third place at the Hoosier Junior Championship in 2013 are all accolades that followed Ball State golfer Colin Proctor from high school to his freshman year at Illinois.

Proctor committed to Illinois as a sophomore at Pendleton Heights High School. He did not see any action for the Fighting Illini during his freshman season, however, as they spent much of the season as the No. 1 team in the country and reached the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.

This was enough for the Anderson, Ind.-native to make his way back closer to home and transfer to Ball State.

“I think it’s a better fit for me, for golf and for school,” Proctor said. "I’ve known most of the guys throughout junior golf so I am very familiar with them."

Proctor joins an experienced Cardinal roster with five upperclassmen. The team also features promising young talent, including Johnny Watts who won the Mid-American Conference championship last year.

“I would like to see us definitely contend in the MAC," Proctor said. "To be in a position where we are prepared to win the MAC and give us a chance to get in the regional."

Men’s golf head coach Mike Fleck has welcomed Proctor with open arms to his 12-man roster.

“He adds a dimension to our team," Fleck said. "He’s a very talented young man and he’s got a very unique skill set."

Fleck said he believes Proctor will have no problem adjusting to the team even though he has less tournament experience than some of the other guys.

Proctor's familiarity with the team and the area will benefit him as he adjusts to life as a Cardinal.

“He adds a dynamic to the team,” Fleck said. “He’s laid back, he’s easy-going. The chemistry with his addition in terms of the guys accepting him and him accepting the program is all there.”

Fleck has high hopes for Proctor and the rest of the team. Ball State has already played three tournaments this fall, most recently finishing third at the Badger Invitational. 

Proctor will have four years of eligibility for the Cardinals following his redshirt last season at Illinois.