Your homecoming tailgate checklist

Senior marketing major, Brad Freidburger plays "beersbee" before the football game against Colgate on Aug. 30 at the tailgate. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Here’s a checklist for the day's festivities: 

- Tailgate opens three hours prior to the game, at noon. Get there on time so you can get a good spot, and eat 10 hotdogs before the game starts. It's $5 per vehicle. 

- Can't wait till tailgate to start drinking? That's OK, because Brothers and The Chug have you covered. They are both open in the morning. 

- Don't miss the parade either, it starts downtown at 10 a.m. and runs through University and McKinley. 

- If you can't drive to tailgate, catch the SGA Scheumann Shuttle from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. It runs the Blue Loop route. 

- Haven't hit up the grocery or liquor store for your booze yet? (For those over 21, of course.) Download the app created by a Ball State student called drnk and check the drink specials at area liquor stores so you don't miss the best deal. 

- Keep those drinks cold. If you’re in a pinch for a cooler, run to the gas station and grab a styrofoam cooler for super cheap. 

- Or, prepare in advance and hit up Outdoor Pursuits where you can rent a cooler for $4.

- While you’re at it, (if you’re really trying to impress people) you can also rent a canopy tent from Outdoor Pursuits for $10 and a cornhole set for $5.

- Bluetooth speakers. For when you’re ready to get the party started. 

- Jumper cables. For when you don’t have Bluetooth speakers, use the speakers in your car, and kill you car battery. 

- Don’t have a flag so your friends can find your car in the tailgate abyss (especially during the Homecoming crowds)? No worries, a helium balloon will do the same thing.

- And it never hurts to bring a roll of toilet paper so you don’t get stranded in the port-a-potty.

- Looking for a little classier tailgate experience? CharlieTown might be for you. New this year, it's located on the west lawn of the Alumni Center. You can get a meal for $5, there's a family fun zone, live music and a cash bar. Preregister online or just show up. 

- Don’t forget to head to the stadium for kickoff. It's at 3 p.m., by the way. 

Brush up on the rules for tailgating with more of our tailgate coverage