Professor talks historical context of 'Fahrenheit 451'

As participants for the Muncie Big Read program walked into the L.A. Pittenger Student Center, they were greeted with a reader's guide, a bookmark and a copy of Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451."

Jonathan R. Eller, Chancellor’s Professor of English and the director of the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies at the Indiana University School of Liberal Arts (IUPUI), spoke Sept. 22 about the historical context and themes from Bradbury’s novel as a part of the Big Read program, which works to revitalize classic literature in today's society and encourage people to read for pleasure. 

This was the first event for the Muncie Big Read program, and program director Bo Chang said a major goal for the program’s first year was to motivate people to read while allowing for community members to connect through the book. The city got a grant around May to host the program. 

“[The events are] really more like community-wide, self-organized activities and we give the support,” Chang said. “It’s not just about reading activities, it’s also about community people getting connected and discussing something we really care about.”

During his presentation, Eller focused on Bradbury’s style and what elements of his previous writings showed in the novel.

“There’s always that unexpected thing that happens in a Ray Bradbury story that I think is one of the things that draws us, that drew me, to him,” Eller said. “Another is the metaphor-rich, poetic language.”

Bradbury's novel was published in 1953, and Eller said while it wasn't unpatriotic by any means, it was a jab at authoritarian regimes. 

"The fate of Fahrenheit was never certain after it was published," he said. "This was the height of McCarthy-ism, the climate of fear that had been growing ... what a strange time in America to be publishing an anti-authoritarian novel." 

In the beginnings of what would later be known as the Cold War, Bradbury criticized the worst aspects of certain Western countries as well as certain aspects of the former Soviet Union, Eller said.

"[Bradbury was] holding up the mirror to anything that was intolerant and unjust in the post-war world after 1945," he said. 

Kristal All, a BSU senior majoring in English education, said that this was the first time she attended an event held by the program. She read about it in an email she received that morning.

“I think it’s a great idea for getting the Muncie community involved and reading about something and talking about something together,” All said. “Anyone in the community can come … so I think that’s just a great idea and we need to do more of that.”

Eller will discuss "Farenheit 451" again at Muncie Central High School at 10 a.m. Nov. 9, but he will also speak about Bradbury’s views on the influence of television and media in day-to-day life.