Collision leaves student trapped in car

A two-car collision left one woman trapped inside her vehicle around 3:35 p.m. Aug. 28.

Ball State student Arbanee Davis collided with 49-year-old Muncie local Alan Brammer, the president of All American Door & Entry Systems, and was unable to exit her car.

Davis failed to yield at a stop sign when approaching the intersection of McKinley Avenue and Washington Street, according to a UPD crash report. 

Responding UPD officer Travis Stephens wrote in his crash report Davis stated she was “trapped inside” and “having difficulty breathing.”

EMS and the Muncie Fire Department were called to the scene, and officers were forced to break windows in order to free Davis form the wreckage.

“[Davis] appeared to be in and out of consciousness,” Stephens said in the report. “I could see blood on her left arm … and it appeared to be coming from small abrasions caused by flying glass.”

Stephens said in the report Davis’s airbag did not deploy during the accident, possibly contributing to her injuries.

Davis was sent to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital after she was recovered from the vehicle. In the trauma center, it was determined she suffered a lacerated spleen, broken pelvis and bruised lungs, the crash report said. She has since been treated and released, according to the Ball Memorial medical staff.

Brammer, who complained of neck and shoulder pain, was also taken to Ball Memorial Hospital. He reported having “pain, but no serious injuries,” according to the crash report. 

Brammer said he did not believe Davis made an attempt to stop at the stop sign, and in following reports, Stephens wrote, “[Brammer] attempted to swerve out of the way and applied his brakes, but it was too late.”

Three witnesses were unable to tell if Davis had stopped at the stop sign before entering traffic.