CULTURAL ANNALYSIS: Cultures share appreciation despite differences

<p>PHOTO PROVIDED BY ALI TAPPE</p>

PHOTO PROVIDED BY ALI TAPPE

Anna Bowman is a senior English and telecommunications major and writes ‘Cultural Annalysis’ for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Anna at aabowman@bsu.edu.

As an exchange student from the wild, wild Midwest, I have noticed quite a few differences between English and American culture.

Believe it or not, language was the first thing I struggled with when I arrived in Worcester, England. You wouldn’t think there would be much of an issue, but idioms like “itchy feet” and “zebra crossing” were completely foreign to me.

The first time someone asked if she was “all right,” Ali Tappe, another American exchange student, became worried that she looked close to tears.

University of Worcester student, Philip Brooks, said when he was studying in America, everyday English words drew a blank on most people’s faces. He asked for a “plaster,” because he was bleeding once and no one knew what he was talking about.

It’s little things like words that can make a living in a foreign country somewhat challenging but also completely worth it.

In observing the English education system, I have found that while the class discussions tend to delve deeper and focus more heavily on student input, the classes overall tend to be more rigid than American lectures.

As Brooks put it, “… the classes were a lot easier than here in the UK, as the lecturers were a lot more open and didn’t follow the structure to the letter. For example, in the exams, if the grades were lower than the tutor expected, he would admit he made the exam too difficult and increase the class’s grade by a percentage.”

With the strict due dates and requirements present in British modules, I have found myself much more concerned about doing things the “right way” than getting the most out of my schoolwork. However, the motivation to take my time and do well on my assignments is much greater here, so there is a balance in that respect.

The most annoying difference I have encountered so far is the grocery stores. Not only do they close early on Sundays – a detail I unfortunately keep forgetting, but there is also much less variety here.

Where we would expect about 50 types of cereal in an aisle, there is maybe half that. Also, Tappe mentioned her frustration at not being able to pick out her own fruit, as it’s all prepackaged.

However, the good news is British chocolate is by far superior.

“No offense to Americans, but the rules the government place on their chocolate manufacturers mean American chocolate is the worst,” Brooks said.

As much as we’d like to think that Americans and Brits are strikingly different, we’re really not. I had preconceived notions of British people being uptight and cold, but I could not have been more wrong.

I’ve noticed much more friendliness here than I ever did in my homeland of Indiana. From the waitresses who call me “love” and “sweetheart” to the strangers stopping in the middle of the street to chat with each other, British people have appeared to be nothing but warm and pleasant.

Similarly, when asked what he missed most about America, Brooks said, “Americans are the nicest people I have met, always friendly and willing to chat to strangers,” so it seems as though the two cultures share a mutual appreciation.