Student organization using GoFundMe to support educational program for Muncie children

For eleven years the Students Affiliates of the American Chemical Society (SAACS) along with students from the biology and chemistry departments have a hosted a Science Day. This day is dedicated to educating children in Muncie about science concepts.

Olivia Manahan, president of SAACS, said Science Day is important. “It is something for the kids to do on Saturday instead of sitting at home watching cartoons”

This year, SAACS needs help raising money for the event. 

“We have had a lot of bumps around the way trying to get to Science Day,” Manahan said.

SAACS is affiliated with the American Chemical Society. The local chapter in Indianapolis usually provides funding for Science Day. The funding was cut in half this year.

So far, in order to raise more money, SAACS has had a ‘dine to donate’ at Best Buddies, a non-profit organization in Indiana. It is also hoping to get funding from the Student Government Association.

In addition, SAACS has turned to the crowd-funding platform, GoFundMe, to raise money for the event. The organization is hoping to raise $2,000.

Manahan came up with the idea of raising money through the Internet after reading about the story of Vidal, a student featured on the popular ‘Humans of New York’ Facebook page

“We set the cap at $2,000 I’m not sure if we are going to reach that goal but it will be really helpful,” Manahan said.

Ryan Jeske is the main faculty advisor for the organization. He believes that SAACS can hold a good Science Day regardless. 

“We are just trying to figure out where we can cut items from the budget,” he said

In previous years, attendees have been able to leave with booklets explaining the different science concepts. This year SAACS might not be able to afford it. Other significant costs include consumable products used in the science demonstrations and T-shirts for the volunteers.

At Science Day, booths are set up to demonstrate experiments to children. An example of a concept that will be explained is one that demonstrates polar versus non-polar substances. Manahan said to do this, shaving cream; food coloring and paper are used. Children are asked to make art with the coloring and shaving cream, when the shaving cream is cleaned up the dye will remain on the paper.

“We all feel that it is important to get the next generation excited about science, because science is the way to the future,” Jeske said.

According to Jeske about 800 people attended Science Day last year. It was held at the Delaware County Fair ground. This year the event will be hosted on campus. 

“Since we can’t afford the rent this year we are worried not as many people will come,” Manahan said.

Manahan said she is hoping that more people will donate to the GoFundMe page.

“I’m really hoping that we can inspire some of the children to go into science,” Manahan said.

The 12th annual Science Day will be held on April 11 in Ball Gym.