Alive Campaign hopes to raise same amount of funds as last year

Event begins sign in and registration at 12 p.m.

Walk will be from 1-3 p.m.

The walk will start at the Atrium patio and walk down McKinley, to North Quad, back to the Scramble light and throughout the rest of campus.

Their goal is to raise $5,000 in donations to split between the AFSP and the state of Indiana for state-funded suicide prevention programs. Last year, the walk earned more than $5,000, exceeding their goal.

Andrea Hickle, a junior social work major and the president of the Alive organization on campus, said the AFSP plans to lower suicide rates by 20 percent by 2025. The foundation will fund prevention techniques such as medicine, interventions and counseling, as well as training programs for families or friends of depressed or suicidal individuals or for the individuals themselves, she said.

Although Ball State does not have an AFSP chapter, it has the only active Alive campaign in the country.

Brandon Puszkiewicz, a junior social work major and the chairman for the event, is hopeful they will reach their monetary goal. According to their website, they will accept donations for this event up until June 30.

“There hasn’t been much progression shown online so far,” Puszkiewicz said. “We think it’s due to all the other events going on this weekend.”

He said many participants in the past have show up the day of and register for the 5K walk. 

Last year, there were more than 120 walkers. Hickle said the campaign hopes to have about 100 participants this year.

All those who sign up online are given a fundraising page and are asked to search for donors and more participants for awareness.

The Alive organization works in partnership with the AFSP to host events including campus, community and overnight walks.

Butler, Purdue and IUPUI host campus-walking events for AFSP as well. Cities such as Indianapolis and Chesterton, Ind. also host community walks, which are typically 3-5 miles.

Puszkiewicz said he is in contact with Butler and Purdue’s chairmen of their campus organizations, and they discuss and share different ideas for walks. As chairman, he organizes and prepares the university campus for the walk.

Alive has been on Ball State’s campus for five years and has been hosting walks for three years.