Police find meth lab in southside Muncie Walmart restroom

Customers shop at the newly remodeled Wal-Mart in Eagan, Minnesota, December 2, 2009. Minnesota, where Target has 74 stores, the bulk of them in the metro area, has always been one of the most profitable regions for the Minneapolis-based retailer. "Wal-Mart wants to beat Target on its own turf," said Burt P. Flickinger III, managing director of Strategic Resource Group. (Glen Stubbe/Minneapolis Star Tribune/MCT)

An active meth lab was found in the 1501 E. 29th St. Walmart men's restroom in Muncie Thursday evening, according to a report issued by the Indiana State Police. 

Members of the ISP Pendleton District Meth Suppression team were called out to the Walmart at 11:30 p.m. after employees noticed a suspicious backpack.

The troopers found active meth in the backpack.

The report said the meth lab was left unattended. An investigation into who left the meth lab is ongoing.

"Rather than the Meth cook blowing up or contaminating their house," the report said, "they are now often leaving behind the deadly explosive chemicals in public places to return later to get the finished product."

Both the men's and women's restrooms will remain closed until they are professionally decontaminated.

The ISP Meth Suppression Section said trash from meth labs is hazardous and can cause explosion, fire or burns, and the fumes can damage organs and the nervous system.

In 2014, there were 1,416 clandestine meth lab incidents in Indiana, as reported by the Meth Suppression Section in the 2014 Annual Lab Stats. Ninety-one percent of the labs seized in 2014 were one pot methods, like the backpack found at Walmart.