SGA looks to continue to accomplish platform points

The Student Government Association ended the fall semester with seven out of 17 platform points completed. The executive board is looking forward to accomplish more platforms points this semester. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Since the Student Government Association ended the Fall 2014 semester with seven out of 17 platform points completed, the executive board is hoping to make more progress this semester.

Some of those points are set to be accomplished this week.

The goal to start an on-campus food pantry for students has become a reality as of Wednesday evening.

Cardinal Kitchen was established to make sure that no Ball State student goes hungry, according to the pantry’s Facebook page.

The kitchen will be open the first three Wednesdays of each month from 5-8 p.m. at the Multicultural Center.

This Saturday SGA will conduct the T-shirt trade at the men’s and women’s basketball games at Worthen Arena, Vice President Bryan Kubel said.

In order to get a T-shirt students must trade in a non-Ball State college shirt, he said.

Originally the trade-in was suppose to occur during a football game in the fall, but Treasurer Sidney Staples said he is glad they were able to make it happen this semester.

“We do a lot of stuff with football, so I like that we are interacting with other sports such as basketball,” Staples said.

The executive board is looking forward to fulfill more of their platform points and seeing legislations passed.

“I’m just excited to see us accomplish more of our platform points and finish off strong,” Kubel said.

In February, elections will take place to determine the new executive slate for the following academic year.

“It will be a very hectic, but busy and fun month,” Kubel said.

President Nick Wilkey said he hopes to have a smooth election next month.

The last two SGA elections have seen maximum fines and election code loopholes. SGA amended the elections code last spring and this past fall.

Junior telecommunications major Zach Huffman was unanimously voted in as the elections board chair at Wednesday’s SGA meeting, the first of the semester.

Wilkey said he asked Huffman to run because he is familiar with SGA and how the organization works and he is heavily involved in the university.