Campus food pantry opens to help students stay fed

When a Ball State student, graduate or undergraduate, goes to Cardinal Kitchen, they fill out a first-time client sheet and check off up to twelve food and/or hygiene items listed. If the party has the items, volunteers gather the items and hand them off free of charge. DN PHOTO SYDNEY MONTGOMERY

Items Cardinal Kitchen offers:

• Peanut butter
  • Jelly/jam
  • Canned fruit
  • Canned vegetables
  • Canned meat/beans
  • Rice/rice dinner
  • Macaroni and Cheese/Chef Boyardee
  • Granola/protein bars
  • Pasta
  • Pasta sauce
  • Mashed potato mix
  • Dried fruit
  • Fresh fruit
  • Juice
  • Oatmeal
  • Cereal
  • Toiletries 

Source: Cardinal Kitchen

Cardinal Kitchen, Ball State’s new student-oriented food pantry, opened at the Multicultural Center on campus Wednesday. 

The pantry is run by senior Jes Wade and is stocked by donations from different campus organizations.

Wade emailed all the major campus organizations asking for donations and she the response was overwhelming. 

“I emailed them and told them what the idea was," she said. "I heard back from at least 30 of them and a lot of them said they had similar ideas.”

The Office of Student Rights and Community Standards also helped the pantry get started donating approximately 400 toiletry items. 

Despite Wade's concerns that no one would show up to the opening due to the extreme weather, the Cardinal Kitchen had six people come in during the first 45 minutes.

Jessica Stanford, a junior computer science major, and Abigail Markley, a junior elementary education major, took advantage of what the food pantry has to offer.

“I don’t have a job right now and we’re struggling so this is a big help right now; especially the bread. We just came in and were done in 5 minutes,” Markely said.

The Cardinal Kitchen is open during the first three Wednesdays of the month from 5-8 p.m. Students looking to receive donations are asked to fill out a new client information form providing their monthly income and number of dependents. 

There is also a weekly intake form that allows students to choose 12 different items they’d like to receive. The only thing students looking for help need to provide is their student ID. 

Rachel Johnson, the volunteer coordinator for Cardinal Kitchen, said helping to fulfill basic needs can help to reduce the stress some students feel when trying to make ends meet. 

“I feel like this will a positive impact because food is a pretty big need and taking this burden of of them will make a big difference and allow them to focus their energy on academics and extra curricular activities.”