Football announces season awards at annual honors banquet

Senior running back Jahwan Edwards prepares to run the ball down the field during the game against Eastern Michigan on Nov. 22 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Awards for 2014 season

John Magnabosco Award (Most Valuable Player) - Jahwan Edwards

John Hodge Award (Most Valuable Freshman) - Corey Lacanaria & Dedrick Cromartie

Bill Reynolds Special Teams Award - Scott Secor

Gene Booker Academic Award - Taylor Hoke

Mark Hays Inspiration Award - Brian Jones

Paul Schudel Strength & Conditioning Award - Nick Miles

Bill Meitzler Scout Team Players of the Year - David Morrison & Joshua Posley

Dave McClain Leadership Award - Jacob Richard

Ray Louthen Award (Most Improved Player) - Dylan Curry

12th Man Award - Pat Quinn

The Ball State football team announced its team awards for the 2014 season Sunday at the annual Honors Banquet at the Horizon Convention Center in downtown Muncie.

Under head coach Pete Lembo, the Cardinals finished the season with a 5-7 record.

Running back Jahwan Edwards, a senior, received the John Magnabosco Award as the team's most valuable player. Edwards finished the season with 262 carries for 1,252 yards and 12 touchdowns. He finished his career as Ball State's all-time leader in rushing attempts, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and total touchdowns.

Freshmen Corey Lacanaria and Dedrick Cromartie received the John Hodge award for being the most outstanding freshman on offense and defense, respectively.

Lacanaria played in 11 games for the Cardinals as a wide receiver. He had 22 receptions for 180 yards and one touchdown on the season. Cromartie, a safety, played in 11 games and started five. He finished the year with 21 tackles and two interceptions.

Kicker Scott Secor took home the Bill Reynolds Special Teams Award. Secor made 25 of 30 field goal attempts in 2014 and was 20th in the nation in scoring. Secor was previously named the Mid-American Conference Special Teams Player of the Year.

Junior center Jacob Richard earned the Dave McClain Leadership Award. He was a 2014 All-MAC Third Team selection and was on the 2014 Lombardi Award Watch List for the nation's top lineman. Richard started all 12 games.

Dylan Curry, a junior tight end, received the Ray Louthen Award as the team's most improved player. Curry played in 12 games and started six. He finished the year with nine catches for 108 yards and three touchdowns.