FOOTBALL: Edwards leaves mark as career at Ball State concludes

Senior running back Jahwan Edwards hugs a family member after the game against Eastern Michigan on Nov. 22 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

There a few things more emotional than having to say goodbye to something you love.

Starting senior running back Jahwan Edwards said goodbye to Scheumann Stadium as he played his final home game as a Ball State Cardinal on Saturday.

There is no doubt Edwards will be remembered at Ball State, as he now owns almost every career rushing record in school history, after surpassing former running back Marcus Merriweather for most career carries.

"I'm just so thankful," Edwards said. "I didn't know I was going to cry this much... I'm just thankful for the opportunity and trying to make the best of it, and I feel like I did on and off the field."

Edwards became a part of the Ball State football family in 2011 as a true freshman and played every game that season. After recording 786 yards and 11 touchdowns in his first year, his career went on to explode.

He marked at least 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns each of his next three seasons.

On Saturday against Eastern Michigan, Edwards played a signature game, running for 131 yards on only 19 attempts.

Even though it has been a tough season for the Cardinals, they came away with a dominant 45-30 victory on Senior Day.

"It feels great man, just to get a win period," Edwards said. "At home for the seniors, our last game here, just unbelievable man, I just want to finish strong with the next one."

With a short week ahead, head coach Pete Lembo and company are already looking forward to battling with Bowling Green on Friday for the team's season finale.

"We have a quick turnaround," Lembo said. "We've got to get to work, we're down a day on our next opponent... we have to get ready for a real good team next week."

Edwards will look to build on his most recent performance against a Bowling Green team that is 5-2 in Mid-American Conference play and sits atop the MAC East Division.

The running back is currently ranked No. 27 in rushing yards in the nation with 1,083. An increase in standing could reap benefits for a Ball State offense that he has become a leader of during his career.

Since the Lembo era began, Ball State has seen three different starting quarterbacks and countless other starters across the field. The only piece of the offense that has remained constant is No. 32 in the backfield to carry the ball.