Papa John's doubles expected sales

<p><strong>Papa John's</strong> will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. <strong>PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG</strong></p>

Papa John's will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Ball State's Papa John's more than doubled its corporate's expected pizza sales on the restaurant's first day.

Papa John’s opened Sept. 29, and has been busy ever since, Jon Lewis, director of dining services said.

“Papa John’s corporate estimated that we would sell 500 pizzas the first day, we forecasted 700 and we sold 1,300," Lewis said.

Brandon Roberts, manager of Papa John’s, said the sales are higher than he expected.

Pizza sales range from about 900 to 1,000 a day, and there are more than 800 orders of breadsticks a day, he said.

Freshman secondary english education and visual communications major Hallie Hell said she didn't expect the lines to be so long.

"I think it's ridiculous how long people are willing to wait,” she said.

Since the opening, Papa John’s has hired more workers to make production go faster.

“One thing we have done is to have more students working. We now have enough workers in the back. We just had to adjust," Roberts said.

The restaurant also prepares pizzas, breadsticks and wings ahead of time to sell items quickly. The breadsticks run out more rapidly than other goods sold, he said.

He said the constant shortage of breadsticks is due to the amount of students waiting in line, and the breadsticks are given away as soon as they are taken out of the oven.