FOOTBALL: Turnover margin keys recent streak

Senior Quintin Cooper celebrates after preventing a Sycamore touchdown at the football game against Indiana State on Sept. 13 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

It's a cliché almost as old as the game of football itself — whichever team wins the turnover battle, wins the game.

Since changing starting quarterbacks after a 33-24 loss to Army, Ball State has accomplished just that.

"We have a redshirt freshman quarterback playing his third game. We've had one turnover in three weeks. I think that's pretty good," head coach Pete Lembo said.

Milas has not only protected the ball well, he's yet to have a turnover, but he also jumpstarted an offense that had failed to score more than 24 points since week one. The Cardinals are 2-1 in Milas' starts, with the self-proclaimed gunslinger throwing for 749 yards and five touchdowns.

Coincidentally, the resurgence of junior wide receiver Jordan Williams coincides with Milas taking over under center. The duo has connected for 323 pass yards, two touchdowns and have developed a tight bond both on and off the field.

"I just have to trust the guys around me. Once you start hesitating, then things can go very wrong," Milas said, "You can't hesitate. You just have to trust yourself and trust your teammates."

The team's running attack has also improved, with senior running back Jahwan Edwards rushing for 296 yards and five touchdowns in the last three games.

Not to be outplayed by the offense, Ball State's defense has also experienced a turnaround. 

Through the first six games, in which Ball State went 1-5, the defense recorded only seven turnovers. Since, the unit has 12 takeaways, including 10 in the last two games.

"These past two weeks we're really focused on our assignments, and really playing hard in the second half," linebacker Zack Ryan said.

After allowing Akron to gain 214 yards and three touchdowns on its first four possessions, the defense clamped down and held the Zips to only 111 yards the rest of the game.

With such a young group of players, the team needed some time to grow into its own, and it is beginning to look as if they've found their rhythm.

"This is a young group that's still learning," Lembo said. "They know where they're at. They know that we have to stay after it to get the kind of performance we want."